Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 Ecoboost Gear Engagement Issue

Old 07-21-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Ecoboost Gear Engagement Issue

Going to put another problem on here to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I posted a thread a few weeks regarding an "O2 Sensor Issue" on my 600 mile truck. Well, the dealer fixed the O2 sensor and the truck now has about 1100 miles on it. This gear engagement issue has surfaced or I should say gotten worse since I got the truck back from the O2 sensor issue.

When the O2 sensor went bad, the truck went into limp mode, but it wasn't any limp mode I have ever experienced. It was bucking badly, making clunking and banging noises in the drivetrain when it was trying to shift into 6th gear. I pulled over and the shifted into N and then P, the truck clunked very violently, almost like a sloppy 4WD engagement. It did this going back into gear after I got it restarted and limped it to the dealer. I explained all this to the dealer, but they said everything was fine after the O2 fix. The engagement issue has progressively gotten worse over the last few weeks since I picked it up from service.

Anyhow, it only does it when I go from D to R and back into D to park the truck. It engages very, very loudly in D and R. If I go from P into R and D it's whisper quiet like it should be. I got underneath the truck, it's definitely coming from the transfer case. Not sure what Ford is using these days, but I have had some issues with the older transfer cases getting slack in the chain that engages the unit. It sounds like chain slack to me or a bad tensioner if they are still using that setup. It's not the u-joints, checked them.

I really think this issue surfaced when the O2 went south, the truck displayed some nasty tranny issues like I mentioned. The dealer is researching this and wants a day or two to talk with Ford Engineers. All other tranny and 4WD operations are normal and quiet. It's only a gear selection engagement issue. The dealer was pretty surprised how loud it was and agreed it can't be normal.

To say I am disappointed is a huge understatement, two issues in the first month and 1100 miles of ownership. Oh yeah, the icing on the cake is; my wife bought a new Focus a week before I bought this Ecoboost, her car had defective rotors and was in the shop on day 3 and 80 miles for a brake job. It's hasn't been a good month with our two new Ford vehicles.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 1985351; 07-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I am almost sure that they still use a chain
Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 PM

I feel your pain and sympathize. I dropped my truck off at the dealership at 7:30am this morning, I've owned it for three months now, and things have been going "wacky" lately. The complete list is on this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/shes-g...orning-103862/
Transmission/shifting issues are just one of the problems I've been having.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by p38fln
I am almost sure that they still use a chain
I kind of thought they did but wasn't sure with all the new technology and not having pulled one apart in years. I am betting it's chain slop, it certainly sounds like that and it's definitely coming from the transfer case. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by 1985351; 07-21-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
I feel your pain and sympathize. I dropped my truck off at the dealership at 7:30am this morning, I've owned it for three months now, and things have been going "wacky" lately. The complete list is on this thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/shes-g...orning-103862/
Sorry to hear you're having issues as well, sounds like your are having a lot more than me.

I have also experienced the inconsistencies with the shifting, but mine are 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 going up or down. Sometimes mushy, sometimes harsh, but I didn't even bother to post that issue because it isn't really bothering me too much. I guess there's a reflash available, they're going to do it at my first oil change appointment.

Also have the rough idle/vibration quiet a bit, but it seems very common and I can live with that too.

The company as a whole is doing great, but if they let their quality slip again, they will be back in the same situation they were in a few years ago.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM

The company as a whole is doing great, but if they let their quality slip again, they will be back in the same situation they were in a few years ago.
I had to smile when I read that. One of the things that swayed me into buying this truck was a Discovery Channel show.... "Ford, Rebuilding an American Icon". In it they talked about how ford had worked so hard to improve quality, and regain a reputation for quality.

I don't have any illusions that every vehicle that rolls out is going to be perfect, and if they can figure out and correct the issues with my truck, then I'll be happy. Hopefully by the time my extended warranty runs out, we'll have all the "bugs" worked out of this truck.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
Sounds like your having electrical problems. That would affect the trans and everything. Could be a ground loop or whatever.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985351
Going to put another problem on here to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

I posted a thread a few weeks regarding an "O2 Sensor Issue" on my 600 mile truck. Well, the dealer fixed the O2 sensor and the truck now has about 1100 miles on it. This gear engagement issue has surfaced or I should say gotten worse since I got the truck back from the O2 sensor issue.

When the O2 sensor went bad, the truck went into limp mode, but it wasn't any limp mode I have ever experienced. It was bucking badly, making clunking and banging noises in the drivetrain when it was trying to shift into 6th gear. I pulled over and the shifted into N and then P, the truck clunked very violently, almost like a sloppy 4WD engagement. It did this going back into gear after I got it restarted and limped it to the dealer. I explained all this to the dealer, but they said everything was fine after the O2 fix. The engagement issue has progressively gotten worse over the last few weeks since I picked it up from service.

Anyhow, it only does it when I go from D to R and back into D to park the truck. It engages very, very loudly in D and R. If I go from P into R and D it's whisper quiet like it should be. I got underneath the truck, it's definitely coming from the transfer case. Not sure what Ford is using these days, but I have had some issues with the older transfer cases getting slack in the chain that engages the unit. It sounds like chain slack to me or a bad tensioner if they are still using that setup. It's not the u-joints, checked them.

I really think this issue surfaced when the O2 went south, the truck displayed some nasty tranny issues like I mentioned. The dealer is researching this and wants a day or two to talk with Ford Engineers. All other tranny and 4WD operations are normal and quiet. It's only a gear selection engagement issue. The dealer was pretty surprised how loud it was and agreed it can't be normal.

To say I am disappointed is a huge understatement, two issues in the first month and 1100 miles of ownership. Oh yeah, the icing on the cake is; my wife bought a new Focus a week before I bought this Ecoboost, her car had defective rotors and was in the shop on day 3 and 80 miles for a brake job. It's hasn't been a good month with our two new Ford vehicles.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
That's exactly why I try to stay away from first year vehicles. You guys are now the guineau pigs for the rest. You guys weed out all of the problems, Ford comes out with fixes, next year models are free of defects.

Sorry to hear about it, hope it gets better.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Up
That's exactly why I try to stay away from first year vehicles. You guys are now the guineau pigs for the rest. You guys weed out all of the problems, Ford comes out with fixes, next year models are free of defects.

Sorry to hear about it, hope it gets better.

Other than engines I dont think this is a first year vehicle.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 PM
2014 F150 Tremor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2010 platinum 5.4, 17k miles and not even a birp. the bugs will be out next year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Ecoboost Gear Engagement Issue