Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 eco-boost TSB or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 eco-boost TSB or not?

I have a F-150 ecoboost with 73,000 miles on it and am approaching the end of my 75,000 mile premium care warranty. I have had 2 coil packs blow out while in Texas this past Christmas that occurred after we had been driving thru heavy rain for a number of hours, later in the day I went to pass a semi on a 2 lane road and was able to make it around but felt something happen during the pass. I continued driving the rest of the day and could feel a stumbling and misfiring that got progressively worse, but I was able to drive thru the hill country and limp along till the next day when I made it to a Ford dealer in Fredericksburg. Since then I have read all sorts of opinions about the TSB's that have come out since my motor was built, and I would have to say other than this incident I have been very pleased with this motor/ trans combo for towing and everyday driving. Am I better off keeping the programming I have now in combination with the original charge air cooler and just understand that I don't floor it after driving through heavy rain or do I battle the dealership for a number of mods that may result in less power and the possibility of the same issue?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I owned my 2011 for 3.5 years and never had an issue with it.
I never had any TSBs or programming updates done to it. I went with the theory "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Old 02-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

I'd get the TSB done. It's been out a while and from what I've seen here, the latest revisions cure it in 99.9% of the trucks. You may notice some differences in the way it drives (my guess is they also play with the programming of the throttle) but if you have the issue, it can only help. I've not read any conclusive evidence (dyno runs) that would suggest power output is reduced. They seem to indicate that the seat of the pants feel is different but when you get into it, it still goes like stink.

I can say this - on both my vehicles, the programming updates have helped and not really hurt. Cured some weird trans shifting on both, and probably helped the condensation going on the F150 even though I didn't experience it.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Get them done. I had multiple occasions of the dreaded water in the IC issue. The last TSB (replace IC and update programming) solved the issue. While others noted a decrease in performance, I didn't. The alternative is to do the drilled hole in the IC. That seems to have solved the problem for all the guys that have done it.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
Get them done. I had multiple occasions of the dreaded water in the IC issue. The last TSB (replace IC and update programming) solved the issue. While others noted a decrease in performance, I didn't. The alternative is to do the drilled hole in the IC. That seems to have solved the problem for all the guys that have done it.
You had multiple occasions and your signature says you have a 2014. Is that the truck it occurred on?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:45 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Originally Posted by News in
You had multiple occasions and your signature says you have a 2014. Is that the truck it occurred on?
No, I got a great deal on the 14. I ordered the 11 and got it in October 2011. I loved that truck, and because it was a new engine I expected to see some issues. It had 58k on it when I traded it in. The IC issue was one i didn't understand until some research. I went through the problem twice. The last TSB appears to have fixed it as it never occurred on my truck again.

There is a thread about drilling a small hole in the IC to allow water that accumulates in the IC to blow out. All reports are that it works, doesn't affect the IC, and doesn't affect performance.

I think you should do the TAB, and investigate drilling the hole or possibly install a catch can.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:48 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

I'd keep it as is and change plugs with a smaller gap...
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
I'd keep it as is and change plugs with a smaller gap...
And drill the hole in the IC.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does the smaller plug gap and new plug atomize potential water in the system better? I get what the different IC and program changes and the drain all do
Old 03-01-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I changed the plugs and drilled the hole after back to back drives with the shudder problem. Cured my issue. I've driven the same roads twice now in the same conditions and no problems.
The following users liked this post:
Kenferg1 (03-01-2015)

Quick Reply: 2011 eco-boost TSB or not?