Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2009 - Present Ford F150 > 2011+ Engine Related Questions
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2011 coil packs dying???

Hey guys, ive got a 2011 screw with ecoboost. Im around 62k miles and under an extended warranty til 75k.

I took it in to the dealer with misfiring under WOT. Unlike other accounts I read it happens no matter if its hot or cold out, rain or dry. They replaced the coil and plugs for cylinders 1 and 4. After I got it back from the dealer drove it around normal usage for a week or two.

Went WOT and again it misfired. Called when I got back and it was two weeks before I could get an appointment. Take it in, they say this time its cylinder 2. Replace coil, replace plug. Each time it has gone in, ive had to pay $100 deductible on the warranty.

They say they wont do the TSB fixes because there is no need to, "its fixed now". Funny, it was supposedly fixed the first time too.

Am I getting played? Seems strange to me that id have half my coils and plugs go bad this soon. Also concerns me that if they are going ill be out $100 each time I take it in as they drop off.
phool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
venatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: MO
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I've had one coil go bad on mine and it just turned 60,000.
__________________
2011 F150 XLT 4x4 Oxford White Screw 6.5 bed Ecoboost with max tow
venatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 453 Times in 303 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phool View Post
Hey guys, ive got a 2011 screw with ecoboost. Im around 62k miles and under an extended warranty til 75k.

I took it in to the dealer with misfiring under WOT. Unlike other accounts I read it happens no matter if its hot or cold out, rain or dry. They replaced the coil and plugs for cylinders 1 and 4. After I got it back from the dealer drove it around normal usage for a week or two.

Went WOT and again it misfired. Called when I got back and it was two weeks before I could get an appointment. Take it in, they say this time its cylinder 2. Replace coil, replace plug. Each time it has gone in, ive had to pay $100 deductible on the warranty.

They say they wont do the TSB fixes because there is no need to, "its fixed now". Funny, it was supposedly fixed the first time too.

Am I getting played? Seems strange to me that id have half my coils and plugs go bad this soon. Also concerns me that if they are going ill be out $100 each time I take it in as they drop off.
I have 63,000 and am on my 3rd set of plugs. They don't last 100k, and I always replace them all when one starts to misfire. Hard to believe the dealers don't do that.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SkiSmuggs For This Useful Post:
brucesears (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Did you gap yours tighter than spec? Thought ive read guys on here say spec is .040 and gapping at .030 to .035 seems to fix a lot of it. I wasnt going to mess with it until I was out of warranty
phool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Opinionated Blowhard
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 120 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I have 63,000 and am on my 3rd set of plugs. They don't last 100k, and I always replace them all when one starts to misfire. Hard to believe the dealers don't do that.
X2 this. EBs eat plugs. I installed MSD (yes I know about their initial issues) and am happy with them so far. Of course I'll know more at 25k miles. That's when I started to experience missing and rough idle.
__________________
2011 EB SCREW XLT 4X4 5.5 bed, Peragon sliding bed cover, 3.31 open diff, Bone Stock.
Kenferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern Vermont
Posts: 2,374
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 453 Times in 303 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phool View Post
Did you gap yours tighter than spec? Thought ive read guys on here say spec is .040 and gapping at .030 to .035 seems to fix a lot of it. I wasnt going to mess with it until I was out of warranty
The original spec, if memory serves, was .034 to .037 which Ford revised to .031 to .033. I went with .031 at 41K and .028 this time. It does seem the fuel mileage falls off a little at .028, so I will go .030 after this.
__________________
2011 Ford F-150 XLT Candy Red Metallic 3.5L EcoBoost, SuperCrew 4x4, Max Tow, 5'7" Box, BedRug, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, SuperSprings, Bilstein HD shocks, Southern Speed Inc tuned, Full-Race Resonated Exhaust, Wagner Tuning IC, Reese 16K fiver hitch, Mohr Mfg SpareBumper
Cougar High Country 299RKS with Reese Sidewinder pin box
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
brucesears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Oklahoma
Posts: 784
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 118 Times in 93 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

The plugs on my '12 were all over the place when new. I put new ones in at 5K miles gapped to .026, truck has run smooth now for 25K miles. Lately it seemed like the mileage had dropped a little and seemed to have lost a little zip so I put new sp534's in at a tight .028 and zip has come back, haven't driven far enough to test the mileage yet.
__________________
2012 Platinum 4X4 Ecoboost with 3.55 elocker and every option available, except max tow. Red Candy metallic , Fold A Cover tonneau, Line-X bedliner, EZ down tailgate assist. Led lights under the bed cover. S&B intake, SSI custom tunes.
brucesears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Opinionated Blowhard
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 710
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 120 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucesears View Post
The plugs on my '12 were all over the place when new. I put new ones in at 5K miles gapped to .026, truck has run smooth now for 25K miles. Lately it seemed like the mileage had dropped a little and seemed to have lost a little zip so I put new sp534's in at a tight .028 and zip has come back, haven't driven far enough to test the mileage yet.
That sounds about right.
__________________
2011 EB SCREW XLT 4X4 5.5 bed, Peragon sliding bed cover, 3.31 open diff, Bone Stock.
Kenferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
1968dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 61 Times in 41 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I recently changed my plugs at 40k with the 534s motorcraft gapped at 32. It runs great smooth and awesome acceleration. However, my coils were fine. I kinda find it hard to believe coils go bad that quickly. I would look for another dealer near by and take it to them and see if they tell you the same. I do know that the 2011s like mine had plugs that Ford no longer uses and gaps were everywhere. Mine were all gapped between 38 and 40 but I had no misfire, I just replaced em for the heck of it. Good luck.
__________________
1968dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
1968dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 61 Times in 41 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Just another thought, dealers try to make the most money the can. Especially when warranty is involved. Aside from your 100 dollars they also charge Ford. It may be that you only need your plug replaced but in order to make more money they replace your coil. Which isn't bad if you have to pay 100 dollars anyway, you get plug and coil. What also kind of sucks is that you have half new plugs with half old plugs. If you are a little handy change all your plugs. For about 40 bucks in parts you can have all new motorcraft 534s.
__________________

Last edited by 1968dave; 10-24-2014 at 03:16 PM.
1968dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.