Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 5.0, feels like misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 2011 5.0, feels like misfire

Been chasing this problem for a long time, initially it felt like two problems; a shudder on take off and a miss on the highway. Well after playing the dealer game I took it on myself (as usual) and managed to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the problem with new plugs and a couple tanks of fuel cleaner (yeah yeah, but it did improve a lot after that!). Now its to the point where its barely noticeable, mileage has improved and I could live with it. Problem is, its still there most of the time. Really feels like a light misfire during take off and while at cruising speed on highway.

Originally was diagnosed using mode $06 as no CEL has ever been tripped. Showed misfires on #8 and random other misfires. All plugs except 8 looked great, but were too wide and #8 was black and sooty and too wide.

I want to pull #8 again to inspect, but other than that I found a COP boot on ebay for the 5.0L, so I'm going to swap that out since its cheap, easy, and historically has been a known trouble spot on Fords. Also going to open up the intake to give the MAF a little cleaning just in case its a factor.

Has anybody run into misfire problems on the new 5.0L? Service manager and I were in a long conversation about it a while back and he was very surprised saying he never sees any issues with the newer 5.0L's.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

You'll see the occasional post on here, for any of the engines, with symptoms like yours. Usually it is a cracked plug or bad coil.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0, feels like misfire