Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 5.0 F150 Acceleration Nosie

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 5.0 F150 Acceleration Nosie

Hello, new to the forum, I've been using the site to research issues up to this point and this forum has been VERY helpful for many different projects and problems, but here's one I haven't been able to find an answer/solution for:

*I am not the most mechanically knowledgeable, but very good with my hands and a quick learner.
I have a 2011 XL 5.0, it has 270K miles on it and the other day I opened up the intake manifold to clean the valves + intake in order to try and continue diagnosing a cylinder #8 misfire I've been dealing with for the past year.
All went well and I got rid of a bunch of carbon and plan on doing another cleaning soon.
However after I was finished, when I took it for a drive there was a strange noise coming from what seems to be under the hood on the drivers side when I accelerate above anything over 2K rpms.
Not sure how to describe it as a (light rattling, or sucking noise), but there is no loss of power or any negative difference in performance
What I've noticed so far is:
No noise in park, nor when I rev the engine
If I lightly accelerate I don't get the noise
If I stay on the pedal and increase speed, it slowly goes away after a few seconds
If I'm driving in 4wd there is no sound.
I have checked both pcv hoses and both are not clogged and relatively clean

I believe the symptoms factor out spark knock or the heat shield etc,
Does this narrow down what might be causing this?
Thanks for your help
Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

sounds like it mite be an shot IWE or both of them. intergrated wheel end, i had a sound on mine, turned out dirvers side iwe was donezo
Old 01-04-2017, 12:58 AM

Interesting, I'll take a look into that and see what I can find.
Could it just be a hose going to them or something of that sort?
My next thought was it might be some sort of hose or vacuum hose related issue since i had to remove quite a few to get to the intake manifold.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

no not with IWE, when they go, they release vaccum < 4 WD makes sound go away, but when when in 2wd they roll < i hope im saying this right, so they make a noise as there is vaccum trying to keep the hubs from engaging
Old 01-04-2017, 06:33 PM

So I researched the IWE, and still had a gut feeling that they are working fine, but rather I did something hose related to the IWE when I took off the intake manifold.
I believe I found the issue! ***But hopefully you or someone on here can confirm or deny it.
When trying to get a better angle while working on the intake, i stepped inside the engine area and it looks like I pinched this hose on the passenger side (when i put my hand on it to feel, it broke right off so I'm sure it was already cracked:
If someone could also direct me in the next step on how to fix this and how simple/difficult it will be that would be great
*The hose next to it wasn't damaged

Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Dig the broken piece of plastic tubing out of the rubber connector and stick it back if you have enough slack. If it's too short, you can get a splice connector and a piece of rubber vacuum line, that fits the tubing, and reconnect to the splice.

Last edited by redneck wrencher; 01-04-2017 at 07:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BRUTE448 (01-04-2017)
Old 01-04-2017, 10:06 PM

Redneck wrencher,
That did the trick thank you!
Took a screw the same size at the hose and screwed it in, and used the screw as leverage to pull it out.
No more noise. Thanks again!
The following users liked this post:
BRUTE448 (01-04-2017)