Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2011 421428 Roush Exhaust + factory resonator

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2011 421428 Roush Exhaust + factory resonator

As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I have decided the new Roush "off-road" exhaust is a bit too loud for my tastes. Before I sunk any money into an aftermarket resonator, I decided to put the factory resonator back in place.

I accomplished this with a 3.0" ID to 2.5" ID reducer, 6 inch piece of 2.5" pipe, and a 10" section of stainless 3" (left over from my Roush install).

The Good
--Nice sound and tone at idle.

--Can hear myself think in the cab.

--Virtually no drone/noise at highway speed with windows up and radio off. Almost as quiet as factory, but not quite. You can tell there is exhaust on there.

--At WOT it is still pretty lound. Probably about 35% less, but still very nice. You can also hear the engine again as well. I have to say, that sweet 5.0 with a little rumbly exhaust is very nice!

--It sounds very similar to a 11/12 5.0 Mustang with no resonators, or a mild aftermarket exhaust. Just a nice deep tone. Still has a bit of the V8 roughness, but the OEM resonator smoothed a lot of that out.

--Might be my butt dyno is out of whack, but it almost feels like I picked a bit of low end power back up. Maybe the factory resonator at 2.5" is the way to go. Who knows?

The Bad
--Too quiet? I would be ok if it were a bit louder and slightly more aggressive. I am looking for a sound level similar to what my old 2006 FX4 had with true dual and magnapacks. Not the tone, just the db.

--Couldn't find stainless reducers. Had to go with aluminized. If I decide to keep this setup, I will have a custom stainless reducer/transition made.

--Will likely be spending a few more bucks on an aftermarket resonator. Looking hard at a 3" vibrant bottle style.

The Verdict

--This is the way to go if your Roush is making your ears bleed. It is also what you need to do if you don't want to sink any more money in. I have about $20 in parts invested in this modification.

--I think Roush should offer a "mild" version of this exhaust simply by shipping a stainless transition pipe. That way they could market to both segments (young guys and old farts like me).

I will post a before and after video clip at idle soon.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

nice! So does the Roush replace all the 2 1/2" piping before the muffler? Gets rid of flex pipe??
Old 03-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsfit
nice! So does the Roush replace all the 2 1/2" piping before the muffler? Gets rid of flex pipe??
Yes, the roush exhaust replaces everything from the flange back. You remove the two bolts at the flange and drop the entire system. It is also 3" from the flange back.

I will likely go back and install the full 3" system with an aftermarket resonator. I am still hunting for the right db level. This exhaust sounds awesome at full volume and behind the factory resonator.

There is no flex pipe on the 5.0. Not sure about the 3.5/6.2 rigs.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

My 3.5 does, and my thought is the 3" all the way back would help in my case. With the 5.0 you probably did pick up some low end by putting the 2 1/2" pipe back on.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM
banjer picker

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks OP for your response, been waiting to hear back.My exhaust came today but I wasn't here to sign for it so I guess it'll be tomorrow.Maybe an aftermarket reso.will liven it up a bit more than the OEM,as for tone I think you and I are searching for the same thing.This Roush system just sounds different to me than any other I've heard.Good Luck
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM

Received 163 Likes on 73 Posts

Can't wait to hear the before and after clips! Thanks for the pics.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very close to pulling the trigger on the Roush kit myself. I want the sound, but I do not want the drone. I have the 6.2l so I wonder how it would sound. I've read other places that it does not drone and some say it does. I really do not wanna drop $600 something and hate it.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Bump ... I want to hear the sound clips with the res on .Please
Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

thank you for doing this. I too am like you and want the tone of the roush, but unlike when I was in my 20's, the drone just makes it unbearable so far on the different exhausts I have tried.
this is what I think will be perfect for me as well.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Well we might be screwed as this post is almost a year old

Quick Reply: 2011 421428 Roush Exhaust + factory resonator