Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

2 pan oil change F150 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 174 Likes on 79 Posts

Default 2 pan oil change F150 5.0L

Finally got around to changing oil on our F150 pretty straight forward except drain points for oil with filter is removed.

For those that will change their own once the filter is removed there is a pan under filter to catch oil and it has 2 drain points one in front and one in back.. have 2 pans to catch the oil because they drain at the same time.. or one large enough to catch both as same time.. and before you put new filter on clean excess off pan best you can or it will leak out these drain points for a while.

Front drain point

Rear drain point

Mike
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I learned this the hard way yesterday changing mine for the 1st time. Such a waste of rags. And I love how nearly all of it flows out of the hidden funnel towards the rear, and only a few drops come out of that big honkin' drain funnel in front. Such a retarded design.
Also, the capacity in my owners manual was wrong. It says 7.7 quarts. People on this forum were saying it actually takes 8 quarts. Both are wrong. I put exactly 7.5 quarts in and my dipstick was reading way too high. Had to go back underneath and drain some out.

Last edited by jgiddy; 04-07-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

If you park on an incline to change the oil or put it up on ramps, it makes sure it all fall outs the rear port that is easily accessed by remove the rubber square plug in the skid plate. It also ensures all the oil falls out of the pan when you drain it as well when it is on a slight incline. Much less mess to worry about and it promotes more of the oil coming out of the tray so you have to do less cleanup up there where it collects.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TJPlatinumEB
If you park on an incline to change the oil or put it up on ramps, it makes sure it all fall outs the rear port that is easily accessed by remove the rubber square plug in the skid plate. It also ensures all the oil falls out of the pan when you drain it as well when it is on a slight incline. Much less mess to worry about and it promotes more of the oil coming out of the tray so you have to do less cleanup up there where it collects.
Right.
Incline is the way to do it, but I hate how that places the oil filter at a downward angle.

Not sure what rubber square plug you're referring to, maybe that's an ecoboost thing? I have the V8
Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Just loosen the filter enough for it to start draining have a smoke and relax. Then most of the oil will have drained from the filter and none comes down the front same as the Eco. That's how I do it no mess.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by jgiddy
Right. Incline is the way to do it, but I hate how that places the oil filter at a downward angle. Not sure what rubber square plug you're referring to, maybe that's an ecoboost thing? I have the V8
Both of my EB's have been 2WD so it might be because of that, but I don't think this plug is an EB specific thing. It is a square piece of rubber that is about 4" square. You rotate it to the side and it falls out and that opening in the metal skid plate is where the oil drains out of that rear port in the drip pan for the oil filter.

I can only assume that the 5.0 has this plug as well, but since the 5.0 does have both ports like the EB does, I would assume it has something there in the skid plate as well.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4wd oil changes can be a pain in the

Quick Reply: 2 pan oil change F150 5.0L