Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

1st Oil change (2011 EB)

Old 08-13-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st Oil change (2011 EB)

Just finished my first oil change on my 2011 with the EB. I was going to do it at 3,000 miles (truck currently has 2,885 miles on the odometer), but I pulled the dipstick out this morning, and the oil smelled a bit burnt, so I decide to do it now.

Getting to the drain plug isn't too bad, just pull off the fiber cover, and grab a 15mm wrench. The drain plug is located on the passenger side rear of the pan.

Getting to the filter is a bit more challenging. Being 6'3" made it a bit easier to reach over the top and get a filter wrench onto the filter, and thankfully the filter wasn't torqued down too tightly. It came off easily.

Now, about that so called "filter drain" that Ford put on these trucks....that thing is about worthless. I had the truck parked on a slight "nose down" incline, and all the oil still drained rearward, leaving a basketballs sized puddle on the ground/driveway. I did manage to get a rag in there and soak up most of the left over, but it's obvious that Ford didn't intend to make it easy to get at that filter.

New FL500 in place, drain plug reinstalled, and the fiber cover back on....then 6 qts of Motorcraft Full Syn 5-30. Overall, it's not too difficult to change the oil/filter, but I can image that anyone short of 6' might have a tough time getting to that filter.

Now the part that surprised me. The old oil looked like conventional oil that had been in an engine for 5,000+ miles! It smelled "burnt", and I could fee tiny particles rubbing the oil between my thumb and forefinger. Glad I decided to change it when I did. We'll see how things look at the next oil change, but from what I've seen so far, I can't image every letting the oil in this engine go more than 5,000 miles.
If my understanding is correct, the oil change interval is suppose to be 10,000 miles. NOT FOR ME!.....I reset the "oil life" to 50%.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told 5000 miles for the interval and it's pretty accurate
Old 08-13-2011, 04:20 PM

easy with that used motor oil on your skin! full of carcinogens , you gun die !
Old 08-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That stupid oil drain is worthless. I'm either going to drill a hole in it or relocate the filter. I'll probably end up relocating the filter.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:18 PM

This is a cut/paste out of the Owner's Guide, 3rd edition....guess that's where I go the 10,000 mile thing....

"Engine oil/coolant change intervals – 3.5L, 3.7L and 5.0L engines
Engine oil As indicated by the message center: do not
exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)"

I just can't image letting oil go for 10K miles, no matter how good the oil is suppose to be.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A little trick I found when changing oil on my Cummins is to take a gallon zip lock bag and slide up over the filter after you get it loose, then as you take it off any oil that runs out is caught in the bag. However not sure how well it would work on this horizontal mounted filter. I am going to try it when I change my oil, probably will help the mess a little bit.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The burnt smell was probably caused by fuel dilution. The evils of direct injection. Don't use mobil 1. From past experience, it doesn't cope very well with DI engines.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:08 PM

The dealer I bought mine from has lifetime free oil changes which was a selling point for me. I was worried that they would make me wait until the IOLM said it was time but they said to bring it in every 5,000 miles or 6 months and they will change it. Now for my first oil change experience. When they were finished I looked at the paperwork and sure enough, it said 5W20. I questioned it and they had to dig around in their computer, said they put 5W30 in, but the free oil change job generated 5w20 on the paperwork. I was skeptical. The next morning they called me and said they weren't sure what oil they put in it and to bring it back for another change. I was pissed at first but then I realized they could have not called me and let me run the truck for 5,000 miles with 5w20 in it.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealers are retarded, but I'd like to think they're better than jiffy lube, etc. And it's hard to beat the $29 service special that ford offers.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 AM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I currently am using Motorcraft full syn in both my EB engines, but I might change to Pennzoil Platinum because of how successfully it worked in my Mazdaspeed3. It's cheaper as well. Meets all of Fords specs and is HTO-06 spec'd.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st Oil change (2011 EB)