Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of exhaust would be good for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of exhaust would be good for my truck?

I have a 1997 V6 4.2L XLT and i have found some new exhausts for it but im not sure which to get. I want one that is very loud but increases the power as well. i was looking at a magnaflow or a flowmaster but im not sure which would be good for my engine. Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

None are what you would consider "bad" for your engine. If you want noise, go with the flowmaster 30 series x2 (true-dual) with an X pipe and "modify" the cats. This will net you the best sound / power. Inexpensively you can go with either one and see no real performance gain, sound will vary by brand and series. Lots of options, try searching this forum.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, check out this thread for starters...

https://www.f150forum.com/f7/exhaust-9160/

Then, hit up you tube for some sound clips. Then, if you still have some questions, we'll be able to narrow it down for you.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:08 AM

i know that any of the exhausts would not be bad for my truck im looking for the one that would give me the best fuel economy, performance, and loudness and with the 4.3L V6 i have i wasnt sure if certain ones would give me less or not
Old 01-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gurst150
i know that any of the exhausts would not be bad for my truck im looking for the one that would give me the best fuel economy, performance, and loudness and with the 4.3L V6 i have i wasnt sure if certain ones would give me less or not

Everything is a trade off. You gotta understand that that for an exhaust to always be loud there is some sort of baffling/internal design making the sound. Then there are other exhausts that are deep but quiet unless under load because they have a more free-flowing design.

Use youtube for the sound issues to find the sound that you like.

Here are some more posts to help.
https://www.f150forum.com/showthread.php?t=9160

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 01-05-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Redneck engineerin'

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Basically it comes down to preference, you are the only one who can choose. If it were me magnaflow is the way to go but many people like the flowmaster better. I would suggest going on you tube also to find which one sounds better to you. Both will do the same for performance and fuel mileage.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 AM

I'd go with Magnaflow for better performance but not quite as loud as the Flowmaster. If you want to cut down backpressure even further you can have the exhaust tip exit in front of the rear wheel instead of going over the axle to exit behind the wheel. The longer the length of pipe the greater laminar flow build-up and greater backpressure.

I have a Magnaflow and it seems a little loud to me at times (although it is considered to be the quieter of the two).
Old 01-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Combat Trucker

Straight Pipes!
Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

I have installed on my 08 Corsa Performance Exhaust, it was expensive, but soooo worth it. Go to www.corsaperf.com and they explain everything, mine was around $980.00 and I installed it myself.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 PM

Be sure to check the reliability of the gasket seals on whatever you buy before you hand over your money. Some so called headers are notorious for leaking (exhaust) and flat out blowing gaskets. Performance is a good thing but dont end up with a maintenance nightmare.

Quick Reply: What kind of exhaust would be good for my truck?