Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bed cover is best for my needs

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bed cover is best for my needs

I have a 2003 lariat f150 with a 6.5 foot bed and I have a dilemma, I want a tonneau cover but don't know which one, I frequently hual my 10 foot kayak and John boat but I also carry a treestand, fishing poles, etc. If I got a hard topper i couldn't carry my kayak easily correct? I want something secure that nobody could just cut thru thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

You probably want something like a Bakflip...

http://www.bakflip.com/p-200-bakflip-g2-tonneau-cover.aspx?gclid=CMi1t7Lj0cUCFYVFaQodPXUAoQ
Old 05-21-2015, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'll look at it
Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I think you need to do a lot more research, understanding the pros and cons of different tonneau covers and how they fit, or don't fit, your needs - which you've not really explained here. Sites like AutoAnything have Tonneau Buying Guides to help you sift through all the different options.

I bought my first pickup in December of 2013, and used their buying guides for various add-ons including a tonneau cover. As you go through the guides, and list your other uses, you can figure out if a cover meets your needs. I got the Extang Encore, a folding hard tonneau that easily lifts off when needed, doesn't fold against the back window, is accessible behind the cab as well as by the tailgate, etc. But you can't stand on it, or put a lot of weight on it, so if your boat loading or similar requires you to walk on the tonneau you'll need to consider other options.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:30 AM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Careful with a BakFlip in cold climates. The latches are plastic and both the rear ones broke during the first winter.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:29 PM

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I myself have the Extang Trifecta Folding Tonneau Cover. I like it, easy removal if needed too.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:27 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently bought a Roll N Lock cover. I wanted the ability to open up the bed easily and also have something more secure than a soft top when it was closed. This cover rolls up into a shallow canister. It has a vinyl top that is supported by metal slats underneath.

It locks into the side rails and also the tailgate. The tailgate, however, can be eliminated. That's what I did because otherwise, if you only wanted to open the tailgate, you'd always have to unlock the cover. I felt this would be a slight hassle. I only wanted to unlock the cover when I needed to roll it open.

The canister near the cab does take up a little space, maybe about a foot square or so. Id say check out Roll N Lock, and if a canister near the cab is an issue for what you are hauling, check out the Peragon covers. Those are secure and completely removable with ease.
The following users liked this post:
peragon (05-22-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 01:54 AM
Shop CEO and Designer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Retrax. Lifetime warranty with it. But the Extang Trifecta is literally about 5 minutes to remove, and maybe 10 minutes to install if you're **** about it being straight.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

You can get a tonneau cover that has side rails so that you can put a rack on it. I know Pace Edwards has one.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Received 266 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by lariatlord
I have a 2003 lariat f150 with a 6.5 foot bed and I have a dilemma, I want a tonneau cover but don't know which one, I frequently hual my 10 foot kayak and John boat but I also carry a treestand, fishing poles, etc. If I got a hard topper i couldn't carry my kayak easily correct? I want something secure that nobody could just cut thru thanks
I have an Undercover hard tonneau cover on my truck. I have a 13.5' kayak that I carry in the bed without issue. I use a bed extender in the hitch receiver to support what's hanging out, but it goes in no problem. When I take it out, I usually also have the cart I made for it, both of my fishing rods, and my tackle bag back there with it.

As to the john boat, is it on a trailer or do you load it into the bed as well? Not sure that would work with the cover on it.

Quick Reply: What bed cover is best for my needs