Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper 5501 problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Viper 5501 problems

I am installing a viper 5501 remote starter (without security) and a BypassKit PKFM connected via D2D cable., I have run into a couple issues that i cant seem to figure out.

Last night I thought I was done, programmed the PKFM (I think), and tried to remote start. Nothing happend, then pressed lock to test the keyless entry (which was working earlier) and the horn got stuck engaged. I tried to start with the key and the battery was dead. I boosted the Truck and its running fine, but.

1. As soon as the viper module gets power, the horn engages and will not stop. I have pulled the pin from H1/3 for now.

2. Remote start does not work, the 2 way remote thinks it works, then after 30 seconds it says "remote start off".

3. The parking lights and keyless entry are working properly (I press lock on the fob and the doors lock, and the lights flash once). However 10 seconds after locking the doors, the LCD FOB beeps and tells me that the door is open (even though it is not.)

Here is the vehicle specific portion of the wiring. There is no hood switch as of now, and the override and neutral switches are working. I have triple checked all connection, they are correct as listed, and the solder joints are solid.
Code:
Purpose              Vehicle Wire            Viper 5501 Wire    
12 VOLTS                    Green/violet             H1/2 (Red)
IGNITION                     Blue/green               H3/1 (Pink)
ACCESSORY                 Black/green              H3/3 (Orange)
STARTER                     Red/gray                 H3/4 (Violet)
KEY SENSE                  Black/pink                H2/10(Blue)
TACH SIGNAL               Uncommon                
FUEL INJECTOR             Opposite of Red            
LOCK                          Pink/yellow               Green
UNLOCK                      Pink/green                Blue
DOORPIN                     Black/Yellow             H1/8 (Green)
BRAKESWITCH              Green                     H2/17 (Brown)
PARKLIGHTS                 Brown                     H1/11 (White)
DOMELIGHT                 Black/Blue                N/U (need relay?)
HORN                         Dk.blue                    H1/3 (Brown)
VSS WIRE                   Gray/black                
TRANSPONDER IGN       Red/lt.green              Orange (PKFM)
TRANSPONDER RX         Gray/orange              Pink (PKFM)
TRANSPONDER TX         White/lt.green          Green (PKFM)
TRANSPONDER GND       Black/lt.blue
The Viper programming sequences still work. I have set the transmission mode to Automatic.

Anyone out there installed a viper, and can see anything I am doing wrong? How did the horn get stuck in this state, when I programmed the transmission mode it was working fine?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Update: Got the remote start working, I missed one of the red wires on the H3 (heavy gauge remote start) harness. All remote start features are working great.

problems 1 and 3 still exist, not sure where to even start there.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninR6

1. As soon as the viper module gets power, the horn engages and will not stop. I have pulled the pin from H1/3 for now.

sometimes when you initially put the fuses in, the units will activate like the alarm is being tampered with, you try unlocking/disarming it right away? Are the parking lights flashing aswell?

3. The parking lights and keyless entry are working properly (I press lock on the fob and the doors lock, and the lights flash once). However 10 seconds after locking the doors, the LCD FOB beeps and tells me that the door is open (even though it is not.)

door ajar error. in the viper manual its menu 2 option 3. turn it off. the door trigger(green) is still seeing a ground when you arm it, like a dome light delay. Check to see if your door triggers are correct and also check the purple (+ door trigger).

see how that works out for ya..
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 PM

Parking lights work like they should, one flash for lock, two for unlock, and on solid while the truck is remotely started.

I changed that setting and it made no difference. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 AM

have you tried disconnecting the door trigger wires and seeing if it still give a door trigger error?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJ STX
have you tried disconnecting the door trigger wires and seeing if it still give a door trigger error?
I did disconnect the door trigger input, and yes the door errors went away. Since the 5501 does not do security, I don't think I am really losing any functionality.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Door trigger input is needed if one of the following are used: MTS, passive arming, auto re-locking, door ajar error honk or Smart Key control
is all i can find in the manual..

Quick Reply: Viper 5501 problems