Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UWS vs Weatherguard vs Better Built

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default UWS vs Weatherguard vs Better Built

Ok everyone. I thought I had my truck box picked out. I was planning on a Better Built SEC low profile deep box for my new F-150 I have on order. However, I keep reading people prefer UWS and if you have the coin by a Weatherguard. People also seem to like other more custom box builders, it I am not sure. I want something that will hold the tools, take people sitting on it and last for years. Weatherguard tells you the thickness of thier aluminum, I can't find that for Better Built or UWS. So, is Weatherguard 2.5x the box that a Better Built or UWS? Is there a difference between quality and strength of the Better Built or UWS? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 223 Likes on 153 Posts

I've never seen a better built box, but I do have a UWS.

Firstly, Weatherguard is the best, strongest, etc. But that comes at a price obviously.

UWS to me was a great compromise. I am not a contractor or construction worker, but i do keep tools in there and wanted them secured and dry. I bought a black low-profile box and it's been great. It gets sat and stood on during the summer at tailgates and it still looks brand new.

I would definitely avoid any of the tractor supply, home depot boxes or the like. They're extremely thin and will dent and leak the first time you sit on it.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the UWS low profile. I love it, and highly recommend it. My dad has had one on his '02 Chevy HD since it was new. The only problem he had was the powdercoat coming off.

Only thing I wouldn't do is buy it online, even if it's cheaper. Go to an actual store and see it in person before you buy. UWS ships these in a box with no padding. I had two before I finally got one with "ok" damage. The first two looked like a forklift slammed into them multiple times.

Last edited by LXCoupe; 04-28-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cadamwil
Ok everyone. I thought I had my truck box picked out. I was planning on a Better Built SEC low profile deep box for my new F-150 I have on order. However, I keep reading people prefer UWS and if you have the coin by a Weatherguard. People also seem to like other more custom box builders, it I am not sure. I want something that will hold the tools, take people sitting on it and last for years. Weatherguard tells you the thickness of thier aluminum, I can't find that for Better Built or UWS. So, is Weatherguard 2.5x the box that a Better Built or UWS? Is there a difference between quality and strength of the Better Built or UWS? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I know this is quite an old thread, but I'm having trouble finding more recent threads. I'm looking for a box for my truck as well and am curious to know what you ended up going with? Sounds like UWS is a good alternative to Weatherguard without being so damn expensive. What box did you end up getting and are you happy with it? Been going off this site to check out different options, thinking the low profile UWS in black

http://shedheads.net/best-3-uws-tool-box-reviews/

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ended up going with Weatherguard. In the end, it was availability, features and mainly metal thickness that lead to weatherguard over say a UWS or Daws / Kobalt. If I was purchasing over again, I might also look again at RKI and Highway Products, but I would probably go with weatherguard. The things I like about weatherguard are the locks, the seal seems to keep water out well, it's strong enough for my tools plus occasionally using it as a bench or platform. It could be manufactured out of thicker gauge as I think Highway products and RKI are, but weatherguard seems to be tough enough for me. I have had previous boxes fail due to the weight of the tools and using as a bench for a few guys. I hope this helps. Reply if you have more questions.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:57 AM

I've got a UWS on mine and am very happy with it. Just my .02
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 PM

I have had weather guard and they are by far the best, you literally will feel the satisfaction of money well spent with the push of the latch. I ended up getting rid of mine because it was a transfer from my old truck, and I wanted a low profile.
I went with a Better Built SEC, only because of pure convenience and price. The shop that I bought and had install my bumpers at had one. It was a custom order that no one picked up, so I got it for his cost.
The SEC line is better builts higher end stuff. Though it is not made of the same thickness aluminum as the Weatherguard, I fell it is on par with UWS. The owner of the shop even got stood on top of the box to show me it was pretty strong, he's a bigger guy, so that sold me. The locks and latches seem better quality that the cheap better builts I've had in the past.
Bottom line, if you have the $$$ weather guard, UWS and Better Built SEC are pretty much even in my book.

Quick Reply: UWS vs Weatherguard vs Better Built