Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercover tonneaus......anybody ever have a warranty claim?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Undercover tonneaus......anybody ever have a warranty claim?

Just got finished installing my brand new Undercover Lux (the painted version) on my 2015 F150 XLT sport in magnetic paint.

Overall, it was super easy to install and the fit is excellent after a little adjusting here and there.

Unfortunately, it seems like the clearcoat on the top of the tonneau is in pretty bad shape in quite a few places. Very hazy/milky in appearance.......almost looks like somebody cut in too hard with a buffer?

I thought it was just some dust or residue when I first opened the box and put it on the truck but it does not come off.....definitely in the clearcoat itself.

Anybody have any issues with their painted Undercover tonneaus (or their other products) and have luck with warranty claims? Hard to get resolved?

I will be calling them tomorrow to see what they say, but could use some reassurance.....

Last edited by NemesisR6; 09-10-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Seems pretty straightforward. They have asked that I send in pictures of the issue along with my proof of purchase, serial number of the cover, and a quote from a local body shop that will recommend whether the damage can be wet sanded and buffed out, or if it need to be re-cleared. Once they have that information, they will cover the expense (I believe up to $400) to have it repaired.

I will also try to put some pictures of the issue on here.

More to come, but so far they've been very helpful.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:03 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Red face

Sorry to hear. Just a suggestion, I know they are gonna take care of it. But just for the heck of it, maybe try Clay Bar on it? May give you an idea if they will be able to buff it out for you? I have the Undercover SE on my truck. When I ordered my truck, I wanted a hard shell bed cover. So I added it as an option. Took a few months. They ordered the Undercover SE, then painted it at the dealer body shop. Then called me to bring in the truck to install it. They did a great job. 4 1/2 years later I just have to buff out scratches as they has happen. Good Luck..
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Scarlet
Sorry to hear. Just a suggestion, I know they are gonna take care of it. But just for the heck of it, maybe try Clay Bar on it? May give you an idea if they will be able to buff it out for you? I have the Undercover SE on my truck. When I ordered my truck, I wanted a hard shell bed cover. So I added it as an option. Took a few months. They ordered the Undercover SE, then painted it at the dealer body shop. Then called me to bring in the truck to install it. They did a great job. 4 1/2 years later I just have to buff out scratches as they has happen. Good Luck..
Clay bar will only take out surface contaminants. It will not get rid of scratches.

I detailed cars for a number of years in my early days, and I'm pretty good at recognizing when somebody gets a little overzealous with the high-speed buffer and/or doesn't make sure their buffing pad is clear of contaminants like sand.

I went with the pre-painted Lux SE version because UC warranties it for as long as you own it. I keep my trucks for at least 10 years, so warranties are a big deal with me.

UC seems to be standing behind their product, and I don't doubt they'll make it right.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 PM

I have attached some images of the issue. Also took it to a local body shop that I trust and they said that while some of the damage was due to improper buffing/polishing, the other areas were likely due to the paint/clear application itself, and therefore cannot be polished out.

Total price to refinish the tonneau? $650.

Have relayed this info to UC to see where we go from here.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:31 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

OH yea, I see what you see. That's diff. over doing it for sure. Looks like whomever was doing the buffing thought he was a machine, unless that's exactly what it was? Poor work in any event. Sometimes people don't know how to describe the problem. That's why I made the suggestion. I too detailed for a living, when I was a bit younger? Once UC takes a look at your pics it should be a no brainer. I think it should be replaced. but that's just me. Good Luck!!

Last edited by Scarlet; 09-12-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:10 AM

Absolutely ridiculous.

UC has stated, as per their “warranty” policy, that any/all defects must be handled through the process of receiving quotes from repair shops either to refinish or repaint the tonneau.

So, essentially I received a defective product that should have never left their factory in the first place, and the onus has been placed upon me to get it resolved, with them offering to reimburse me (inadequately so, as they will only pay up to around $400 for a repaint) for those expenses.

I am floored.

I will need to talk to the dealer I ordered it though, but if I have the option I will simply be returning this tonneau and going with another manufacturer. I honestly cannot believe this is how UC does business.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Very disappointing to hear there response. I own the same cover but had the vendor I purchased if from install it as well. I did inspect it in detail when I got home and wasn't excited about a few minor spots where it looked like there was dirt or something in the paint. Also looking along the side the material looks wavy from the mold. That being said overall I like the cover and it does match the truck perfectly.
As we all know customer service in this day in age is more like don't screw me over too hard and I will be happy. Sad but so true.....

Quick Reply: Undercover tonneaus......anybody ever have a warranty claim?