Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation

Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation

I'm in the process of purchasing either the Undercover Classic or SE on my 2012 F150 Crew Cab 5.5' bed. My truck has a Ford plastic bed liner. In discussions with Undercover, they are telling me that I need to trim the bed liner at the bulkhead to allow for the hinges to extend, but I don't see anything on their instructions to do this or on the internet of anyone doing this. Can anyone comment if you have installed either of these two tonneau covers with a Ford plastic bed liner and if you needed to do any trimming?

My original question to Undercover was that the bed liner add about 3/8 of an inch from the bulkhead and if I need to change their measurements due to the bed liner and they mentioned that the bed liner needs to be trimmed.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Depending on where the liner edge is, you may need to. I have an '11 Lariat Supercrew, 5.5 bed, and I have the Undercover SE. But I have a Rhino lining in mine. I do have one picture I took a from a few years ago. It's from a bit of a distance, but the bed cover is raised. The first and second picture-You can see inside where the rear bracket is located. Third picture-The Front bracket attaches the same way. It's a bit shorter and has the pins for the hinges to slide onto when the cover is on the truck. The bolts that hold the brackets on have Clamps on the reverse side, so no drilling to do. I'll crop it in a bit and do a little highlighting. It may give some idea.
Attached Thumbnails Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-11nov20a_0021yw.jpg   Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-11nov20a_0021zw.jpg   Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-11nov20a_0021ww.jpg   Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-13sept10_0105w.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-09-2016 at 09:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DisDad01 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 06:32 AM

Here is a photo of my Ford bed liner at the bulkhead. Undercover is telling me I need to trim it all along the bulkhead and in the corners to allow room for the hinges.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:38 AM

If my truck was here I'd go out and take some pics. But she's still at the body shop. From what I can tell, you need to trim a bit along the bed side, at the area that has the gap in your picture. That would be so you can allow some more room to work with, and maybe to get the front clamp up under the rail lip. I cropped a few pics of my truck bed from before I had mine installed. The arrows show the area. As long as the upper lip of the liner is behind and under the rail lip, and against the side of the truck, you should be OK. It's just where the gap shows in your pic where you may need to do a little trimming.
Attached Thumbnails Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-11jan19-014aw.jpg   Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-11jan19-015aw.jpg   Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation-11jan25a-019aw.jpg  
DisDad01 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 08:26 AM

I shared my photo with Undercover and this is what they suggested I trim off my bed liner. It might be more than I'm willing to do just for a tonneau cover. Doesn't this seem overkill?

Old 03-10-2016, 08:31 AM

I agree the corner probably needs to be trimmed but the bulkhead seems like over kill. For a factory bed liner why would there be gaps in the corners.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM

Unless something has changed in the hinge design of the SE (now it's called the LUX I think), you're right. The gasket of the cover sits on the bulkhead. And there is a flap to cover and protect that area. but that shouldn't interfere with the liner. The red area you shaded is not required for sure. Without my truck being here I can't say for sure about the yellow area. So maybe that will need to be? I can't remember if the front bracket goes all the way up against the bulkhead, But I don't think so. You would only need to trim maybe an inch? or so, from the top edge of the liner that I can see exposed in your pic.

Last edited by Scarlet; 03-10-2016 at 09:11 AM.
DisDad01 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had an Undercover SE installed on my '15 F-150 and they are correct in the what they outlined for trim. If you don't trim the area around the bulk head they suggest it will leak in the front. The hinges for the cover are on the front and the corner of the bed liner will prevent them from fully folding in when the cover is down. I'm very happy with my Undercover. Fits great, looks great and doesn't leak at all.
DisDad01 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:39 AM

I think I'm going to go with the solid fold 2.0 since it doesn't require any modifications to my bed liner. Thanks everyone for their responses.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DisDad01
I think I'm going to go with the solid fold 2.0 since it doesn't require any modifications to my bed liner. Thanks everyone for their responses.
Well, not quite. It's best to trim the plastic rail caps so that the Solid Folds clamps clamp on to metal, not the plastic.

Name:  SolidFold1_zpspk64tgfl.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  226.3 KB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Undercover Classic or SE tonneau cover - installation