Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning - where/how?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning - where/how?

As I consider what tuner/custom tuner to get. I notice that despite my searchs...I am spending forever looking for a couple things with little results.

So I can go to countless online stores and order an Edge Evolution or whatever canned tuner I want. that I understand. but what is the process for "custom tunes" like gryphon, PHP(stands for?) etc? Do I buy a specific tuner like the edge then send it off to them to "custom tune", can I do minor custom tuning myself on some of these(Like fix a lean issue from a CAI?)
I have searched so much and all I find is countless post about peoples favorite tune or what tune to get. but I dont have any idea how to order a custom tune...

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

PHP stands for Power Hungry Performance. It's not so easy as buy whatever canned tuner you want. Only certain devices can accept and be modified to use custom tuning. Devices like the Evo have to be sent in to be converted to a Gryphon while the Edge CS/CTS can simply download the custom tunes without a conversion. Same for the SCT sf3 and X3.
The user adjustable options on any programmer cannot adjust a/f ratios to correct lean issues. Custom tunes have to be written to correct for mods. For more information join the PHP forum and they can answer any SCT or Edge/Gryphon questions you may have.

http://www.powerhungryperformance.com/

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/
Old 04-27-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

I have been in the same boat as you. I have come to the conclusion that 5star tuning has been getting rave reviews and it seems their customer service is above and beyond the others. I just called and talked to mike and ordered a SCT X3 with 3 custom tunes for my 2010 4.6 3v. He inquired to all my mods, gear ratios, tire size ect.. to make sure he loaded the right tunes with the right tweaks. He said it will ship in the AM and that if I add anything to the truck to call back and they will tweak the tune to my mods. I have yet to read a bad comment about them.

Also 5star is a forum vendor and are running a special right now, look in the vendor section.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to both your replies!!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SCT X3 w/5 Star custom tunes on my 07 scab. I'm also running a K&N FIPK and SI/DO Cherrybomb Pro and my truck runs great. I'm waiting to take it down to Troyer for e fans,under pulley and dyno tune.

I wasn't all that impressed with the X3 without the custom tunes.

Quick Reply: Tuning - where/how?