Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners and Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners and Cold Weather

So I'm still really new to the whole engine tuners, currently I am running a HyperTech MaxEnergy ECon in the truck and I have noticed a bit of a gain, but nothing major.

In doing some research though I've found recommendations and warnings to NOT use tuners in cold weather. Living in Iowa we do get days that are well below 0 in the morning. Is this a known risk and something I should be concerned about?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about the exact tuner you're running, but I thought the only thing I had read was not to install the tunes in cold weather, nothing about running them in cold weather.

Don't have that worry out here in Hawaii.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

You can run them in cold weather. If you have a CAI it might growl a little more, but I have heard of no issues with running tunes in the cold.

<--Like wxm though......rarely have to worry about the cold
Old 11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ignore the above two, they don't know cold. Wish I could take them both out for a brisk 3 mile walk downtown by the river in 17 degree weather, talk about getting your blood going. :-) ( and that's just to breathe! )

Far as the tuner, I do not know you're particular tuner name but yes, I believe there are warning against installing in severely cold weather but running them, I do it all the time so you should be all right.

Just messin with you Sin and WXM. All in fun. hehe
Old 11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sogwap55
Ignore the above two, they don't know cold. Wish I could take them both out for a brisk 3 mile walk downtown by the river in 17 degree weather, talk about getting your blood going. :-) ( and that's just to breathe! )

Far as the tuner, I do not know you're particular tuner name but yes, I believe there are warning against installing in severely cold weather but running them, I do it all the time so you should be all right.

Just messin with you Sin and WXM. All in fun. hehe

Hehehe..I know. And so does bambi from the other night
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Lol true that, forgot about it.

touche
Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, that makes a bit more sense....so I guess that begs one more question....why not to install the tune?

Also while I'm at it, have any of you with the Edge or Xcal experienced any issues transmission wise because of the tuner in the long haul?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:03 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I've experienced no transmission issues with my Xcal II, but I have heard Edge causes them, but don't have any first hand experience.

Sog - I grew up in Ohio, but have been away longer now than I lived there. I know the older I get the more I want no part of that 17 degree weather you speak of.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Lol True that, I remember when I first moved here from Seattle, the extreme changes in weather shocked the heck out of me. Actually got blistering hot in summer and REALLY cold in winter. If it wasn't for the church I go to here, I'd pack the wife and truck up and be gone back to Seattle in a heartbeat. lol But with it here, not even a consideration to move. Sooo....snowball fight time! lol

Quick Reply: Tuners and Cold Weather