Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuner question

im buyin a tuner for my 07 f150 and im undecided between the edge evolution and the bully dog. i need to know if either one of these can calibrate the speedometer, i know the edge says it can adjust tire sizes and gear ratios but does it recal? also does the edge just plug in to the obdII like the bullydog??
Old 10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I dunno about the bully dog, but the edge has a bad rep with the tranny's we have.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 AM

i think im going with the bullydog. anyone have any experience with them?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 PM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 08yfzrider
i think im going with the bullydog. anyone have any experience with them?
I don't think I have read a single post from anyone that has one of those. I think I would look elsewhere if I were you. Stay away from Hypertech (wast of money) Stay away from Edge (could be bad for your tranny, this was the case for me) You should look into getting a Xcal from Troyer Performance unless you don't want to wait 2 months, then you may want to get your tunes from VMP Tuning. Why risk possibly hurting your truck buying something nobody knows much about. Those two guys have a great rep around all the F150 forums.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecrystal1
I don't think I have read a single post from anyone that has one of those. I think I would look elsewhere if I were you. Stay away from Hypertech (wast of money) Stay away from Edge (could be bad for your tranny, this was the case for me) You should look into getting a Xcal from Troyer Performance unless you don't want to wait 2 months, then you may want to get your tunes from VMP Tuning. Why risk possibly hurting your truck buying something nobody knows much about. Those two guys have a great rep around all the F150 forums.
^^^^X2 Yup
Old 03-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an edge evolution and I don't have any trouble with it. It shifted rough at first and then I adjusted the shift firmness and now it runs great. The edge just mounts on the dash and plugs in to the obd2 and takes less than 10min to install. On level 3 I get 2 more mpg than I used to. And as far as power goes its like driving a different truck. Its suppose to add 35hp and I think it gives your truck every bit of it. And the feature I like best is that you can read diagnostic codes with it.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want the PID display, another option is the Gryphon (re-badged Edge with custom or canned tunes).
Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 PM

not trying to jack your thread but im looking for a tuner myself for my 04 fx4 was leaning towards the edge now after reading this I am unsure which one to get looking for some help cause i know very little about programmers this will be the first one I have bought
Old 03-08-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roachy0420
not trying to jack your thread but im looking for a tuner myself for my 04 fx4 was leaning towards the edge now after reading this I am unsure which one to get looking for some help cause i know very little about programmers this will be the first one I have bought
Check out these sites for more info.
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl
http://gopowerhungry.com/index.html

These are probably the top 3 in the country for the F150's if you are looking for custom tunes specifically for your truck. IMO, if you're going to get a tuner, you might as well spend the extra money and get custom tunes for your truck. I've been looking at tuners for a while now myself and after much research I've decided to go with VMP. I like the fact that I can save the trucks original factory tune on the SCT flasher so that if I needed to put the truck back to stock, I can. I also live in the general vicinity of VMP so I am planning on taking my truck over there and have them dyno tune it and get the custom tunes from Justin at the same time. I feel that's the best way to get the absolute best tunes for my truck and it isn't that much more than just buying a tuner.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PaintBaller
Check out these sites for more info.
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?
http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl
http://gopowerhungry.com/index.html

I like the fact that I can save the trucks original factory tune on the SCT flasher so that if I needed to put the truck back to stock, I can.
Just to clarify, this can be done with all three tuners.

Quick Reply: tuner question