Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Covers USA tonneau? or other bike rack options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 AM
wait. what?

Received 271 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Truck Covers USA tonneau? or other bike rack options?

does anyone here have any experience with Truck Covers USA tonneau covers? the one I'm looking at is called the American Work Cover. the main thing I'm looking for is something with roof rack mounts so that I can put my mountain bikes over the bed and still have room for camping gear underneath the cover. this cover offer that and then some, but at a very steep price ($3200 with the Yakima options). they have a cheaper offering without the toolbox, but the more I see the box, the more I like it.

with that said, the price is a big pill to swallow but it seems like a very high quality product and I have not seen any reviews that would steer me away from it. but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with these covers, and I'm also wondering if there are any other options out there for tonneau covers that can be factory ordered with roof rack provisions.

here's a link to the cover in question: http://tonneaucovers.com/p-687-truck...eau-cover.aspx

thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I have few suggestions:

1. LINE-X dealers sell the same cover that's just rebranded. The only difference is that you get a lifetime warranty instead of the typical factory 2-year warranty. The catch is that you have to go to a LINE-X dealer.
2. There are two sizes of toolboxes along with a few other options which you can view on TruckCoversUSA's website: http://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-work-cover/
3. You might want to go to an accessory store and look at the cover. They may not have the toolbox edition, but at least you can see the regular cover before you drop that kind of cash.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:59 AM
wait. what?

Originally Posted by Stage4
I have few suggestions:

1. LINE-X dealers sell the same cover that's just rebranded. The only difference is that you get a lifetime warranty instead of the typical factory 2-year warranty. The catch is that you have to go to a LINE-X dealer.
2. There are two sizes of toolboxes along with a few other options which you can view on TruckCoversUSA's website: http://www.truckcoversusa.com/american-work-cover/
3. You might want to go to an accessory store and look at the cover. They may not have the toolbox edition, but at least you can see the regular cover before you drop that kind of cash.
thanks for the help. I've got a Line-X store just a few miles from me, so I'll swing in tomorrow and see what they've got. I need to get my bed Line-X'd anyway, so maybe this will work out better.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
wait. what?

well I stopped by the Line-X dealer here in Madison yesterday and the first person I spoke with had never even heard of the cover, after about 10 minutes of digging another employee showed up and pulled out a pamphlet they had from Truck Covers USA, but it wasn't the rebranded Line-X one. he said they've had that sitting there for a while but have never sold one or even gotten pricing one so he is going to try to find some info on it and give me a call back.

I went on Truck Covers USA's website and tried searching for vendors per their website, came up with a place about 40 miles from me (Monroe Truck, they built the Ironhide Topkick trucks for the Transformers movies - fun fact) they were listed on this website so I called them this morning and they said they had never sold one and didn't have pricing info and told me to call yet another store. this is turning into a wild goose chase quickly.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Why dont you go with the Thule T2 hitch rack? I would hate lifting my bikes up on top of the bed.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:52 PM
wait. what?

Originally Posted by MixMastaMM
Why dont you go with the Thule T2 hitch rack? I would hate lifting my bikes up on top of the bed.
I thought about that at first, but then that makes getting into the bed a chore, they interfere with the backup cam and sensors and I'm just not crazy about the idea of having a few thousand dollars worth of bikes hanging off the rear.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Two of these:

Amazon.com: Sunlite Bicycle Bike Block Fork Mount, Black Amazon.com: Sunlite Bicycle Bike Block Fork Mount, Black

a 2x4 scrap, and a cargo strap.

Carried my mountain bikes through three states like that. No tonneau cover though.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Truck covers usa

Originally Posted by DavidKR
does anyone here have any experience with Truck Covers USA tonneau covers? the one I'm looking at is called the American Work Cover. the main thing I'm looking for is something with roof rack mounts so that I can put my mountain bikes over the bed and still have room for camping gear underneath the cover. this cover offer that and then some, but at a very steep price ($3200 with the Yakima options). they have a cheaper offering without the toolbox, but the more I see the box, the more I like it.

with that said, the price is a big pill to swallow but it seems like a very high quality product and I have not seen any reviews that would steer me away from it. but I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with these covers, and I'm also wondering if there are any other options out there for tonneau covers that can be factory ordered with roof rack provisions.

here's a link to the cover in question: http://tonneaucovers.com/p-687-truck...eau-cover.aspx

thanks in advance.
Been looking at the same thing
I was looking at the smaller tool box though. Already losing almost 13 % of the bed with the roll canister. I was going to have them install the rails but source the rest of the Yakima on Craig's list. Pace Edwards also has a retractable with rails but no tool box. I am going to start checking around next week. No distributor in my area either. I have road bikes so I was considering also putting a few locking bike hitch mounted on the tool box for when I wanted a quick mount option
Old 09-27-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 570 Likes on 473 Posts

There's a few of us here that have modified various Bakflips to fit bikes atop the closed cover. It's a great way to carry the bikes and still have secured storage beneath. I bought the F1 from a vendor here, and was all in with the bike mount mods for about $1k.

Name:  9D91CDA7-6A65-4CC5-989A-9E4721725E38.jpg
Views: 17166
Size:  232.4 KB

Name:  F4C83120-28B7-4933-A41A-8C866A5EE0B0.jpg
Views: 17363
Size:  268.8 KB

Name:  E95D7D2E-F71C-4A8B-8A88-AE36FC8C0CC0.jpg
Views: 22784
Size:  282.3 KB

Here's my thread about it:

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/bakfli...roject-294321/
Old 10-16-2015, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the Truck Covers USA with the rails and basic Yakima rack pre-installed. I will need to add my specific Yakima bike mounts later. I will also add two locking fork mounts on the bulkhead portion of the tonneau cover. I will likely not keep the Yakima cross bars in place all of the time.
I had wanted to order the American Work Cover Jr. but could not bring myself to spend another $900 for a toolbox. Over $1000 if you had it Line-x'd and stainless handles.
Ouch
Will send a picture in a few weeks after it is all installed.

Quick Reply: Truck Covers USA tonneau? or other bike rack options?