Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Linkage Issue Post-Body Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Linkage Issue Post-Body Lift

Hi Everyone. I did do a search for my issue prior to writing this but I couldn't find anything that addressed my specific issue. As my profile says, I have a stock 2002 (typo on the 2003) FX4, 4WD, automatic tranny with an extended cab/short bed. I need new tires and I want to jump up to 33's so I installed a Performance Accessories 2" Body Lift Kit #862. All went relatively well except for the obvious rusted bolts, which eventually came out. My only problem now is the transmission linkage. I followed the instructions line by line and disconnected the stock linkage from the tranny prior to lifting the truck. When I was putting everything back together I installed the kit bracket to raise the linkage. Because of a notch in the bracket to go around a bolt, it clearly only goes on one way and the picture in the manual is self-explanatory. I installed the stock linkage to the bracket and was done. I starter her up to go for a ride and noticed fairly significant resistance when shifting into reverse as well as all other gears. I got back under the truck and took a closer look at the linkage and realized that the bracket threw the linkage and the shift cable completely out of line. Instead of everything being nice and straight and in-line with my drive shaft, the linkage is know cocked toward the driver's side of the truck and the shift cable is touching one of the O2 sensors. It's drivable but I'm concerned that this tension will eventually break something and I realize that it has to be fixed. Luckily it isn't my daily driver so I can let her sit and do the research. I did call Performance Accessories and obviously their first question was whether or not I had installed the bracket correctly. This was yesterday and the tech I spoke with was going to do some research and get back to me tomorrow (hopefully). My question is, has anyone ever experienced this type of tranny linkage issue after installing a body lift with the use of a linkage bracket to raise it? If so, what was your fix? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Linkage Issue Post-Body Lift-image1.jpg  
Old 09-01-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, i am having the same issue . what was your outcome on this? thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Linkage Issue Post-Body Lift