Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toneau Cover leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toneau Cover leak

Hello everybody! I have a 2005 F150 and just installed an Access Limited soft top roll up toneau cover. It looks awesome and is very convenient but recently I have noticed water in my bed. It's been raining a ton here in Atlanta and thats one of the reasons I got this cover was so I could keep all my stuff dry in the bed. I checked the whole cover and couldn't find a single opening where water could seep in. I know this is a weird topic but has anyone else had this with their covers? And has anyone find where it might actually be seeping in through? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Toneau Cover leak-img_5993.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive got a truxedo roll up similar to yours and mine just started leaking. check the area closest to the cab. thats where mine started and i was able to fix it. surprisingly a buddy of mine suggested flex seal(the as seen on tv stuff) i was skeptical but to my surprise found a can at cvs and said screw it ill give it a try and the stuff is awesome. so it might not be a bad idea to give it a try.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by devildog234
ive got a truxedo roll up similar to yours and mine just started leaking. check the area closest to the cab. thats where mine started and i was able to fix it. surprisingly a buddy of mine suggested flex seal(the as seen on tv stuff) i was skeptical but to my surprise found a can at cvs and said screw it ill give it a try and the stuff is awesome. so it might not be a bad idea to give it a try.
My dad has a '10 f250 and he's had a Truxedo LowPro on it since week 1. Truck is always outside and puts up with our extreme heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Not 1 problem/leak. I just ordered one for my f150. May need to adjust it a little?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:33 PM

Awesome yeah I'll give it a try! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by LT1_Hawk
My dad has a '10 f250 and he's had a Truxedo LowPro on it since week 1. Truck is always outside and puts up with our extreme heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Not 1 problem/leak. I just ordered one for my f150. May need to adjust it a little?
I guess, I can't find a single opening, I just got suggested to use flex seal, going to give it a try and see how it works
Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Climb in and have someone close the tailgate on a sunny day. Look for daylight inside.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by LT1_Hawk

i did adjust it some but i think the problem is that the rain would puddle up in the middle and get so heavy it pulled away from the back just enough for a leak to start happening. seeing as how i didnt wanna take the entire thing off and fight it all back together i did this fix. im planning on getting a fold up hard cover with a built in toolbox soon anyway so im not too worried about it.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

i did adjust it some but i think the problem is that the rain would puddle up in the middle and get so heavy it pulled away from the back just enough for a leak to start happening. seeing as how i didnt wanna take the entire thing off and fight it all back together i did this fix. im planning on getting a fold up hard cover with a built in toolbox soon anyway so im not too worried about it.
I wanted a fold up hard tonneau but there seems to be so many quality issues with what seems to be all brands so I got a soft tonneau. The fold ups do leak, especially after time at the hinges. Does your tonneau not have crossbars? Mine is so tight I think you could put a crap load of snow on it with no worries
Attached Thumbnails Toneau Cover leak-image-3118229769.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 02:03 PM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Find those leaks.

Originally Posted by Brunswick592
....I checked the whole cover and couldn't find a single opening where water could seep in. I know this is a weird topic but has anyone else had this with their covers? And has anyone find where it might actually be seeping in through? Thanks
I have this same cover installed on my own 04 F-150.

Did you install the TRAILSEAL Tailgate Gasket and Element Seal gasket (front of bed) that came with your Limited Cover? I can't tell if it's installed in the photo. That would be my first suspicion.

After that, make sure the stake pockets are well sealed and that your drop-in liner isn't blocking the bed's drain holes.

You can reach me on my work phone at 701-368-1851 if you have anymore questions for me.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:22 PM

mine has the crossbars but looking at the picture of yours its no where near as tight. ill figure it out its not too bid a deal right now. might need to pull the crossbars out and see how bent they are.

Quick Reply: Toneau Cover leak