Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thule roof rack and wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thule roof rack and wind noise

I'm looking for some advice concerning my Thule roof rack. I've got the 480T feet on my 2011 truck which I use to carry my kayaks. Using the Thule fit clips I get a ton of wind noise on the highway. I have also installed a wind fairing to cut down on the noise but I'm still getting a lot of noise from the clips disturbing the weather stripping. Has anyone found a way to mount install these without the noise? I tried to secure the clips under the weather stripping but this isn't possible.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Former Powerstroker

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Never had any experience with that. However anything i have ever put on the roof always causes wind noise. Luggage, cargo, ladder racks. Seems like something unavoidable.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put a Thule rack on my 2012 F150. I've got the square cross section bar with the feet (forgot their name). You are correct in that the clips don't fit underneath the door foam - I tried putting them underneath, too. Maybe I'll try to glue some foam on top of the clip to see what that does.

Also, I get lots of noise from the bar. I read that a simple fix is to wrap coated wire around the bar, with wraps every 1-2 inches. It supposedly causes the flow around the bar to be turbulent which decreases noise.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Upon closer inspection I found that the tops of my doors were hitting the clips. Called Thule and they were no help so I called the store that I bought them from and they sent me a new Fit Kit no- questions asked. Come to find out, the kit that they sent first had the wrong rubber pads in it and that was causing the problem. Put the new fit kit on and the noise is minimal.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:41 AM

The Thule clips that fit the newer F150 is #1521. The rubber foot pads fit the roof depressions well. The clip is secure, but doesn't really follow the contour all that well, so the door insulation / weather stripping seems to go under the clip as opposed to the clip going underneath the stripping.

I wrapped a thin rope around the square bar to see / hear the effect. Almost no noise now compared to without it. Mind you, it's an otherwise empty bar otherwise without bike or kayak mounts. But, since I've had a Windjammer / deflector before on an old car, I have to say that a rope/bungee/coated wire spiraling around the front bar is far simpler, cheaper, and just as effective in reducing wind noise.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 374 Likes on 228 Posts

Do any of you have the new RB60 Oval Rails? They are supposed to be the quietest.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyB.
Upon closer inspection I found that the tops of my doors were hitting the clips. Called Thule and they were no help so I called the store that I bought them from and they sent me a new Fit Kit no- questions asked. Come to find out, the kit that they sent first had the wrong rubber pads in it and that was causing the problem. Put the new fit kit on and the noise is minimal.
Did it completely solve your interference problems? I installed aero bars with 480r pods and kit 1521, and all four door hit the brackets slightly. I played with it and the fouling is minimum when I follow the instructions to the t, so it is a design issue. Anyone else has contact between doors and brackets? Btw aero bars are silent. You only hear the pods.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 AM

New to the forum, but I just installed a Yakima rack system I already had from a old suv. I uploaded a video to you tube at
I hope this helps with anyone else having cab over roof rack issues. If you have any ssues just search my name on you tube and you should be able to find it. I haven't figured out how to post pictures here just yet.

Quick Reply: Thule roof rack and wind noise