Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid Fold 2.0 & MX4 comparison

Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solid Fold 2.0 & MX4 comparison

I've had the "pleasure" of trying out both of these covers on my truck recently, so I figured I'd share my thoughts. This isn't a detailed review, and not a big picture thread, but just some observations from a very OCD person who appreciates well designed and built things.

Little background: I originally went with the Solid Fold due to the rail-less installation and the ability to completely remove it for when I need to haul something big. But after having a little time to get real-world use out of it, I had some leaking issues and ultimately decided to swap it for an MX4.

Installation:
Logic dictates the Solid Fold should win this hands down. And if you don't care about the automatic tailgate release, it does, because (aside from being heavy) its dead simple to put on the bed and tighten 4 clamps. But really, I probably spent almost as much time installing it as the MX4, mainly for these two reasons:
  1. You have to trim down the bed rail caps even with the metal at the clamp points if you don't want them deforming. I also found this a little ironic since between the two covers, you'd think this is the one that wouldn't require modification to the truck.
  2. I spent over half an hour making micro adjustments to the cover trying to allow the automatic tailgate release to work while still maintaining a seal. Which it never did consistently.

Other than being a dummy and trying to use the clamps backwards the first go around, the MX4 installation was surprisingly easy. Hardest part was just holding the washers and bolt in place long enough for the hand nut to catch the threads. The automatic tailgate release worked the first time and has seemed to ever since.

Functionality:
Our local truck accessory shop pushes the MX4 due to the ease of opening the first panel, vs having to release each of the 2 clamps on the SF. I figured that wasn't a big deal, and instead wanted the ability to quickly have full access to the bed by removing the cover (and even still be able to see out the back window!). However, when the time came, I found myself dreading the idea of removing it simply due to the weight & unwieldly-ness and getting in and out of the bed without bumping or scraping it. So after living with it a little, I've decided I prefer just sacrificing rear window visibility by completely opening the MX4 vs removing the SF each time. I'm sure I'll still have to remove the MX4 here and there, but not near as often as I would have with the Solid Fold.

When it comes to just normal opening and closing of the back panels, the MX4 is the obvious winner. One handed opening, lighter panel, just slam it shut when done.

Looks
This is actually a tough one for me. I've always liked the extra "bulk" look the Solid Fold gives trucks. However, on the 2016 F150, I think a flat/level cover goes better with the truck's contours. So generally speaking, I like the MX4 better. That said, the Solid Fold has a much better appearance close up. The plastic parts are almost a perfect match with the F150's plastic, and the deep matte-black of the panels looks great. It's just a great looking and well built cover. The MX4 coating still matches pretty well (better than pictures I've seen online suggest), just not quite as well. And it seems to be a lot more sensitive to scratches. The entire time I had the Solid Fold, it never got a single scratch, but the MX4 had several right out of the box. I'm also not a huge fan of the exposed rubber seal, but I get the need for it.

Conclusion
All in all, I'm happy with the MX4 despite not wanting something with rails. That said, the Solid Fold is a great option if it better meets your needs. I wouldn't let the possibility of leaking issues be a deciding factor, because that can happen with either cover. My MX4 hasn't been rain tested yet so time will tell.

Side note, I got the idea around here to cut the end off the hose so you can make the turn to hit the top hole in the bed. It takes a bit of working with it, but it does fit like that. Though I'd recommend making a couple of cuts in the end that goes in the hole to help fit it in better.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence between the two!

Last edited by benhar; 02-21-2017 at 02:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jatfomike (03-08-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanted to post an update, had a light rain and the MX4 definitely leaks too, in 3 corners. I suspect one corner will be fixed by closing the small gap between the bedrail cap and the bulkhead weatherstrip (in retrospect, wish I had jammed the weatherstrip into the cap when applying it).

I'm assuming the other 2 corners, in the rear, are due to the fact that my driveway is at a slight incline, causing the water in the rails to run to the back, where there isn't any guided exit path. I'm going to contact Bak to see if they have any simple fixes for that (aside from backing into my driveway every day ).
Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do the review. I've narrowed my search to these two covers and have been leaning towards the 2.0......I'm not sure how I missed your review before now....
Mike

Search this Thread