Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I invest on a edge programmer? Pros cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I invest on a edge programmer? Pros cons?

Hi I'm new to this forum but I own a 2005 f150 with the 5.4 in it and I was wondering if a programmer would do anything for me.. I know a lot of diesels have them but Im not too familiar On what they can do for a gas engine .. Please help
Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive got one on my 5.4 2010 lariat. i keep it on the economy map and ive noticed it did help with gas mileage if its used with a good air filter ( i put K&N) but then it was canceled out when i put on 35" mud tires. still nice to have a different(imo more accurate) speedometer and a mpg gauge too. plus its great for keeping up with maintenance as well as if you have any problems you can pull the trouble codes yourself.

you just gotta ask yourself if these conveniences are worth spending that kind of money on. i have the edge CTS btw. plus you can add a backup camera to it as well.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 224 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve98
Hi I'm new to this forum but I own a 2005 f150 with the 5.4 in it and I was wondering if a programmer would do anything for me.. I know a lot of diesels have them but Im not too familiar On what they can do for a gas engine .. Please help
Welcome, Steve! These are definitely worth the investment. My advice is to search the forum for a used Edge Evo (you'll find them for anywhere between $175-250) and convert it to a Gryphon. There are a ton of guys on here reporting 15 MPG and up average on 35s.

The best thing to keep in mind is getting the tuner and having a light foot. If MPG isn't your biggest concern and you're looking for power and performance then you DEFINITELY need a tuner. The truck feels almost completely different.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

If you can find a used 15051 - UNLOCKED - for ~$150 or less, buy it, then call PHP to get it Gryphonized and purchase some custom tuning. Beware - the used tuner market is full of unsavory shysters selling locked devices which will cost a hefty premium to get unlocked.

Avoid CS/CTS as they cannot accept custom tuning. Blame Edge for that situation (and is a primary reason I boycott any of their products). They have effectively rendered both of those dead-end canned products.

Don't run canned tuning when fully custom calibrations ( when purchased with a device ) costs no more and is worlds apart in results.

FWIW - SCT devices offer a far larger support infrastructure, and far more advanced end-user capabilities ( e.g datalogging ) - my recommendation: MPT-tune SCT X4.

MGD
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (09-06-2021)
Old 03-10-2015, 10:48 AM

Great advice out of MGD. That's what I just did.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (03-10-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 PM

Steve,

I got my Evo and switched it to Gryphon's canned tunes. I currently average 17-18 MPG mixed highway/city. I'm on 255/70r17s right now. And that's with a pretty heavy foot over the first week of owning it.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to disagree with what has been said already I love my EDGE CS. It's not a custom tune but since my truck was sitting unprogramed on 35's when I bought it just the adjustment in shifts points was worth the money to me. I have a K&N cai and Flowmaster 40 series, combination of the three makes me very happy. Good luck
Old 03-18-2015, 07:41 AM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by RAMourelatos
Not to disagree with what has been said already I love my EDGE CS. It's not a custom tune but since my truck was sitting unprogramed on 35's when I bought it just the adjustment in shifts points was worth the money to me. I have a K&N cai and Flowmaster 40 series, combination of the three makes me very happy. Good luck
Just so you know, and as has been explained literally hundreds of times already, you cannot run the intake safely with an Edge canned tune on a 3V. The intake skews the MAF TF, and incurs lean conditions.

You needn't believe me; just contact Edge and ask them.

Here it is, straight out of the Edge User Manual:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Caution: The Evolution employs carefully modified strategies that are designed to be utilized on unmodified (stock) vehicles only.
Many aftermarket components such as cold air intake (CAI) kits, exhaust systems, and throttle body spacers as well as forced induction systems (turbochargers, superchargers, nitrous oxide, etc) alter the calculated airflow characteristics of the engine.

In addition, mechanical modifications to the engine such as displacement
changes, camshaft modification, and cylinder head modification may alter calculated airflow characteristics.

Using any of these modifications (either alone or in any combination) in conjunction with the Evolution is NOT RECOMMENDED as it may cause an excessively lean condition which could result in engine damage.

Edge Products will not be responsible for any damages caused by using the Evolution on a vehicle that has been modified from a stock configuration"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks purty unequivocal to me. Did you not read yer manual?

I strongly advise you to resinstall the OEM intake; the K&N POS isn't adding any performance worth spit anyway, and is just passing dirty air, and coating yer MAF with oil. Put it up for sale in the Classifieds - some fool will buy it, lol.

Lastly - a programmer is no substitute for proper regearing - yer still over-stressing yer trans, corrected shiftpoint or not. You need 4.56's, at least.

FWIW - that Fartmaster - I do hope you like the sound; it is taking a bit of yer low-end grunt away... just so you know. Not the best thing to do in yer case, I reckon.

MGD

Last edited by MGD; 03-18-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MGD

Lastly - a programmer is no substitute for proper regearing - yer still over-stressing yer trans, corrected shiftpoint or not. You need 4.56's, at least.

MGD
I thought 3.73s were good to push 35s? I know a lot of guys on here are even running 3.55s to push them, but that's going to stress it a bit.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 AM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by Fbcoach
I thought 3.73s were good to push 35s? I know a lot of guys on here are even running 3.55s to push them, but that's going to stress it a bit.
No. Not nearly enough. Does not even get you back to stock-equivalent overall ratio.

Especially with a 4R75E.

With a 6R80, it's less of an issue, but still not optimal.

MGD

Quick Reply: Should I invest on a edge programmer? Pros cons?