Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roll pan mounting???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
lucky13

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default roll pan mounting???

so i got my roll pan from tonka today (thanks)
so now ive got some qeustions
1. its only got a lip across the top so would this be good enough to mount it
2. what are some cheap suggestions on were to put my license plate at since theres no box

thats it
thanks in advance guys
Old 08-21-2008, 08:45 PM
lucky13

bump
come on guys i hate to rush but this is gotta be painted and on in a week
and only bein able to work on it after school makes that hard enough
Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 PM
We'd do it

Received 449 Likes on 402 Posts

Sounds like it's a weld in roll pan. Is there even anything to screw the top lip to? I don't think it would cost too much to have someone weld the pan in, as long as you did the bondo work. Just make sure they get it in straight. You'll have to make a bracket to hang the plate somwhere, probably just below the pan, on the pan or put it on the tailgate. Just make sure you hook up a light to it so you don't get pulled over. I've seen them sitting in the rear window also but I'm not sure if that's legal.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
lucky13

well i was thinkin i could just drill holes along the lip and underneath the tailgate and use a bunch of small bolts and maybe fab somethin up to old the ends on
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 PM
We'd do it

You can try that too. If the lip rests on something you can use self tappers. Just the sides would be the problem because anything you make to hold it would probably need to be bolted on and the bolts might show. I recommend welding it on for a cleaner look, but I have a welder so it's a bit easier for me, unless I melt the sucker.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:31 PM
lucky13

well i have access to a welder but im tryin to get it on by friday before 6 is why im wantin to get it on fast that and the welding it on id like to do but ive never used bondo before so i guess this all ends up bein a learin experience
Old 08-22-2008, 01:12 AM
We'd do it

Welding it on without warping it will be harder that bondoing it. If you weld it properly you won't need very much bondo at all. Mix it right and put it on slightly thicker than it should be. Sand it down with a long flat board wrapped with sandpaper left to right across the seams and it will level right out. If you mess it up, add more bondo. Use spot putty for minor imperfections and pinholes. Primer everything and then spray a light guide coat of a different color over and sand with the board again. Anywhere metal shows is too high and anywhere the guide coat is still on is low. Do this as many times as you feel necessary. Use rougher grits of sandpaper for initial shaping and get progressively finer to smooth everything out. I'm not a bondo master but everything I have ever bondoed came out looking really good, even my first time. I've bondoed over rust holes and you couldn't even tell they were there.

It's your truck, take all the time you need. There's no need to rush, you want it to look good, don't you?
Old 08-22-2008, 08:36 AM
lucky13

yea i want to look good and usually id take my time but i wanna atleast get it on the truck for next weekend i mean if i dont its not the end of the world but still

Quick Reply: roll pan mounting???