Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing toggle switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Big Blue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing toggle switch

Ok, I've never really done any electrical work on the truck, so I'm kinda scared of messing it up. What I want to do is replace the toggle switch that was installed for my offroad lights. At the shop, they installed it under my dash, which they mounted on what looks like a piece of scrap metal, it's already all rusted. I wanted to change it from a regular baseball bat looking switch to one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANODI...Q5fAccessories

Should there just be two wires with a connector, to where all I have to do is unplug from one, and plug in to this one? Also, does anyone know if it will fit next to the factory headlight ****. I haven't pulled anything apart and don't know if there is room behind there for it. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM

your a big boy figure it out
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 AM
Big Blue

Lmao, dic*
Old 06-06-2010, 01:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Should be just two wires.... If the switch lights up, it will have three wires.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the 2 terminal switches are used when there is a relay in the system and 3 terminal switches when there's no relay. I've heard, the "right" way to wire lights/accessories is to use a relay.

Last edited by YJay90; 06-07-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How many wires are going to the switch you want to replace? Does it control just one set of lights? Is the switch hooked up to a relay or direct wired to your lights?
Just to repeat jhelrey- If it is a basic on/off toggle switch, it will have two terminals w/ two wires, if the switch lights up it will have three terminals w/3 wires going to it. If it is a 3 way/position switch it can also have three terminals. The number of terminals on a switch has nothing to do using a relay.
If its just a plain old on/off toggle(baseball bat) switch, just take the wires off the old one and put them on the new one relative to the on/off position.
Or post a pic of the terminals on the switch you want to replace and we can coach you.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Big Blue

Originally Posted by Merty
How many wires are going to the switch you want to replace? Does it control just one set of lights? Is the switch hooked up to a relay or direct wired to your lights?
Just to repeat jhelrey- If it is a basic on/off toggle switch, it will have two terminals w/ two wires, if the switch lights up it will have three terminals w/3 wires going to it. If it is a 3 way/position switch it can also have three terminals. The number of terminals on a switch has nothing to do using a relay.
If its just a plain old on/off toggle(baseball bat) switch, just take the wires off the old one and put them on the new one relative to the on/off position.
Or post a pic of the terminals on the switch you want to replace and we can coach you.
So I finally looked today, and it has two wires and controls one set of lights, but not sure about the relay. I'm just waiting to get it in so I can try it out. Looks like it's just the two wires and two terminals, I'll post up a pic when it's finished. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Got it hooked up? Are you good to go?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Big Blue

Yes, finally got time to do it, Thanks! Took longer than I thought though, there was a lot of support plastic I had to cut to make it all fit back together good. Here's a pic

Quick Reply: Replacing toggle switch