Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Recommendation for shock replacement

Two month old 2016 F150 XL SCAB. 2.7EB.

Factory shocks suck. Truck bounces sideways when it hits rough spots on road and overall rough ride on anything other than an interstate. (Tires are all 38 psi) I've read lots of posts on this subject. I'm leaning toward Bilsteins but I'd like some guidance on the specific shocks. I will rarely ever carry a load of any significance in the bed. I will occasionally pull an 18 foot trailer with a 52 Ford 8N tractor on board, so not a great deal of weight.

I'm looking for a smooth, Cadillac ride, not a stiff truck ride. I see Bilstein 5100s mentioned a lot but there seems to be different versions of this stock.
I'm not totally locked into the Bilsteins, so if there is something equivalent or better, I would consider it.

Is there a comparison chart available?

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I am interested in this also, my complaint is the rear end getting skittish over bumps. I am looking really close at the Fox 2.0 and the Halo boss 2.0---- appears not to be much difference between them. My driving is 75% interstate and good 2-lane highways the rest semi-rough ''country roads with a little gravel roads thrown in there. Not hauling hardly anything, nothing towed except riding mower, 4-wheeler. Any knowledgeable input here to help us out?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Typically, offroad shocks are stiffer and you won't be getting a "cadillac ride" on pavement. From what I've heard the bilsteins are rougher than the factory shocks.

I have a 14' and switched over to the boss setup after 2-3 months of owning the truck.

Within 6months of only driving on the street I had a front shock snap that left me stranded away from home. I did get a replacement, but had to wait about a week for them to arrive. In order to get the replacement I had to "pay" for the new set, mail back the old set ($40) then got the full amount credited back to my credit card. Haven't had a problem with the front shocks since the replacement.

Now at 40k miles on the truck my rear shocks have gone out. not sure if this is typical or not.

I'm switching over to icon front and rears which should be a little easier to rebuild when the time comes and have a pretty good reputation. I tried to save some $$ by going with the boss setup, but in the end it costed me more since I ended up upgrading to the icons anyway.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:43 PM

I didn't realize Bilsteins are an off road shock. I have no use for anything "off road."
I want the smoothest, softest ride possible and shocks that won't let the rear end sway on
Bumps and rough roads.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I didn't realize Bilsteins are an off road shock. I have no use for anything "off road."
I want the smoothest, softest ride possible and shocks that won't let the rear end sway on
Bumps and rough roads.
I am in lockstep with you here, the reviews on both the Fox and Halo also mentions lots better cornering, which would apply to emergency ''evasive'' response. My first inclination was to add a rear sway-bar, most advice was to add better shocks, though. Alas, I know about as much about suspension and shocks as I do about submarines.......
Old 10-21-2016, 09:11 PM

Wifetrax, I hear ya. I'm still hoping for a recommendation for the shocks we seek.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm very happy with my Fox 2.0 in rears. They helped enough that i'm not getting the sway bar anymore. I haven't done anything up front yet, so no advice there.
The following users liked this post:
Kensterfly (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Motor 10

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts

Fox 2's are selling out quick. That should tell you something. Fantastic upgrade, that you will notice immediately.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Fox 2's are selling out quick. That should tell you something. Fantastic upgrade, that you will notice immediately.
How does the ride feel with Fox 2.0s?
I want to keep the rest end planted when I hit bumps but I also want a smooth, cushy ride. Not stiff.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Motor 10

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts

They completely eliminated the side stepping it used to do on rough pavement. They also gave it a much smoother, compliant, car-like ride. cornering seems to have improved drastically, as well. You will probably want to do the fronts also, after you feel how good the rears feel. The problem there is, the fronts are expensive. $700- $860

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 10-22-2016 at 05:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bafflingbs:
JAMADOR (10-26-2016), widetrax (10-23-2016)