Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programmer Question- Dont Hate me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer Question- Dont Hate me!

Hey,

New to the forum here, and new to the f150 world in general. I just need a quick recomendation and got lazy on page 5 of over 100 on the programmer sticky

I'm loving my new truck, but I haven't had to fill it up yet, ao the reality check hasn't hit me yet!

Anyways, I'm looking into getting a programmer. I know a custom tune is the way to go, but to be budget friendly I'm looking for a decent canned tune for now, with gas mileage in mind. I wouldn't mind a bit of a performance boost, but that would just be icing on the cake for me.

Thank you all!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:17 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawbones93
Hey,

New to the forum here, and new to the f150 world in general. I just need a quick recomendation and got lazy on page 5 of over 100 on the programmer sticky

I'm loving my new truck, but I haven't had to fill it up yet, ao the reality check hasn't hit me yet!

Anyways, I'm looking into getting a programmer. I know a custom tune is the way to go, but to be budget friendly I'm looking for a decent canned tune for now, with gas mileage in mind. I wouldn't mind a bit of a performance boost, but that would just be icing on the cake for me.

Thank you all!
Hi & Welcome!

These fellers hyur: www.morepowertuning.com

Specifically the SCT X4 with 3 custom tunes included for the price, then add ye forum discount.

http://www.morepowertuning.com/sct-7...ford-f150-4.6L

No point in going canned when custom costs no more.

Their forum handle is 'MorePowerTuning'. Give 'em a shout.

good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Sawbones93 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 PM

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21 PM

Also, what do you guys think about buying a used programmer, if it can be found for cheap, then just ordering the custom tunes to load on it.

Is there any problem someone with more knowledge than me see with this?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Sawbones93
Also, what do you guys think about buying a used programmer, if it can be found for cheap, then just ordering the custom tunes to load on it.

Is there any problem someone with more knowledge than me see with this?
Hi.

There are two main potential issues:

1. The programmer is still 'locked' or married' to a previous vehicle.. and sold by an unscrupulous feller - it happens. And it costs $$ to have it unlocked by the manufacturer.

2. The asking price + the cost of new tunes, approaches / equals / exceeds the cost of a brand-new unit, WITH a full warranty.

My advice? Save up and buy new.

Cheers
Vladsky
The following users liked this post:
Sawbones93 (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out Stage3motorsports also. Work directly with 5 star tuning and it's all ford.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I have the SCT Livewire TS that I purchased from 5 Star tuning. My truck is an '11 Lariat 6.2. I wanted the Livewire because I wanted the gauges on the display for monitoring the truck. But I like the 93 canned tune on mine. Of course, my truck isn't stock either. I like it for every day use. I also have several custom tunes from both 5 Star and MPT. Both performance and Tow tunes. And yea, it surely is worth the extra money for custom tunes. Like the guys said, if you can wait for a little bit to save a little more cash. Do it then buy the tuner along with custom tunes, it is a better deal.

Quick Reply: Programmer Question- Dont Hate me!