Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerstop pads and rotors issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Powerstop pads and rotors issue

Any ideas why my new powerstop brakes and rotors would be dragging? I installed on my truck Saturday and the fronts don't spin freely. I can tell they're biting a little. Been 200 miles and haven't worn down yet. I bed them in per instructions. Part numbers have been verified. Pads oriented correctly. fluid level ok. Slide pins move freely. Pads seem to ride ok in their clips and lubed. I just took them apart and put the original clips to see if that was the cause. The rotor spins fine with no pads, when I put the pads on and caliper it spins freely. As soon as I start it and prime the brake pedal it makes it very hard to turn by hand.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the pads move in and out good take a sander hit the edges of the pad. Mine were snug and it did the trick.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I don't see what year/model truck you have. I know you said that you have your pads oriented correctly. Just double checking. Do you know that the front pads are "Inner"/"Outer" specific on the '09-'14? The inner pads have "Ears" on them. It's easy to get it wrong. The caliper will kick out slightly and be at an angle. It will cause binding as well as other issues. I just had a complete Rear/Front upgrade done on my '11 Lariat. I got the Brake Performance Premium Dimpled and Slotted brake kit with the semi-metallic pads, then had it all installed. I left exact written instructions for the shop, that the rotors were Left/Right specific (being slotted), and how the front pads needed to be oriented on the front. Plus I gave him the written instructions I got from the manufacturer for the installation. Weeeeell, he still got it wrong. He had the front rotors on the opposite sides. So I had him pull the truck right back in to correct it. But dummy me, I should of also checked that he had the pads installed correctly, which on the passenger side, he didn't. Even before I started getting the fade during the seating process, something just didn't feel right. Once I got home I took a look at everything. The front passenger rotor had no Pad Contact on the inner half (by the Hat) of the rotor. It was Late Friday, so I had to let the truck sit over the weekend till I got it back to him. So, even thou he was a "Certified This and That", even claimed he knew about the pad orientation, he still goofed. Just wanted to make sure you're right about your pad orientation. Now that I got it all straighten out, it's a Huge improvement over the stock brakes, By Far....
Attached Thumbnails Powerstop pads and rotors issue-16jan24_0120aw.jpg   Powerstop pads and rotors issue-16jan24_0120bw.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet; 04-15-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:45 AM

yes, I noticed the ears when I installed them the first time and made sure they were on correct side. They just seem like they are too thick and constantly rubbing. I have a 2011 F150 XLT 5.5 Ecoboost. Do yours feel like they are dragging after fixing the orientation? I had my calipers and hoses replaced Wed and the guy who did it did the same thing as your guy and installed the tabbed side wrong on the drivers side and it blued my rotor :\ I fixed it myself that night but it still seems like the fronts are getting way too hot. If I spit on them after a 15mi trip to work they are sizzling. doesn't seem right. I have the slotted, dimpled, with z23 pads
Old 04-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Question

After a couple of days now, I check every time I get out of the truck. I've only been doing short trips to the market, post office, etc.. So trips have been under 50mph and only about 8-10 miles. So not that hard on the brakes yet. The fronts are quite a bit warmer than the backs. on the front, I can touch the rim at center and it is very warm to the touch, but the outer part of the rim is cool. Plus it is still building a bit of dust and I can smell the brakes. On the back, it is barley warm in the center and little if any brake dust. So I think it's just gonna take a little time for the pads to "assimilate" as it were. On yours, are both front sides Hot? Since your sure all is installed correct, maybe there is an issue with the new Calipers? Are they New or Remanufactured? When the rotors were pulled off, was the flange on the bearing hub assembly rusted? Maybe needed to be sanded smooth? If the rotors aren't true it could cause binding. If the Calipers aren't true that will cause binding. Just looking for something simple? Maybe contamination or manufacture defect in the front hoses? A bit of a stretch here, but maybe something in the ABS?
Attached Thumbnails Powerstop pads and rotors issue-dr-16april15_0002aw.jpg   Powerstop pads and rotors issue-pr-16april15_0009aw.jpg   Powerstop pads and rotors issue-pf-16april15_0013aw.jpg   Powerstop pads and rotors issue-df-16april15_0017aw.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet; 04-16-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shave the contact points were the brake pad meets the little chrome clips you put on the caliper mounts that's were my issue was.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

It is perfectly normal for brake pads to rub slightly as there is no return springs like drum brakes. In normal driving what lateral movement in the disk as allowed by the bearing will push the pads away until the brakes are applied. AS long as the pads are not stuck and slide freely you are fine.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM

I known some rubbing is normal but I can literally feel it while driving. Felt like towing a small load. When let off the gas instead of coasting you could feel it lightly braking. I am going to replace them. Will update.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like your caliper is sticking. Did the calipers reset ok when you put the pads on? I know a lot of people will replace the calipers when they replace the pads and rotors because, as they age, when they get reset they don't move freely, causing the pad to drag.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I may be having the same issue. Any updates mario8402?

Quick Reply: Powerstop pads and rotors issue