Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoat flaking off already?? 1 year review of AMP PowerStep

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Powdercoat flaking off already?? 1 year review of AMP PowerStep

While there are a lot of how-tos and videos on installing AMP Powersteps, I wasn't able to find a lot of long-term reviews on these wonderful running boards. Therefore, I thought it would be nice to report back on these boards after 1~2 year ownership AMP Powersteps for my 2011 F150 XLT SuperCrew 5.0L. To start off, these boards are by far my favorite addition to the truck. If you are still deciding whether to get them or not, GET THEM (*disclaimer read on). In my opinion they are worth every single penny and more. They not only impress all my guests (ladies especially!) who see the boards deploy for the first time but they continue to impress me how well they work every time. However, after a little bit over one year of ownership, durability seems to be put to test and then......they failed??!! See below for pictures.

I think the pictures pretty much speak for themselves. While these boards are definitely my favorite addition to the truck, they don't seem to be as "military spec" as advertised. When I first saw them, I thought maybe it was just road grime. I took a piece of paper knapkin to it and to my horror, even more powdercoat flaked off.

I mean, I've had a bunch of stuff powdercoated bumper, trailer hitch, and even wheels long before I had these boards and they still look the same as the day I got them. I even had other stuff rattle canned/sprayed and they were tougher than this. At this point you might think I abuse the hell out of my truck but in fact I do not. The paint gets a full detail every half year with more emphasis on protection rather than shine. For those of you who knows what that means, minimal/no polishing compound is used and the weakest detergent is chosen by default. On top of that, I installed front & rear mud flaps to protect these boards from road debris being flung onto the motor or boards.

I rarely drive the truck as it is my tertiary vehicle and when I do, it is driven mostly in the city and on highways. It has only been on the highway once ever since I got the boards and never off-roaded. The truck is currently running on low-profile 22's also. Since purchasing these boards I have only put about ~6000miles/10,000km on the truck.

All-in-all i have followed all maintenance procedures set out by AMP-Research for the ownership of these PowerSteps. Above that, I have installed mud flaps to protect the board from debris being flung onto the board and drove the truck on paved roads since purchasing these boards. Therefore, it is unacceptable to find the powdercoat on these boards disintegrating after ~1 year of ownership given that they were advertised to be "military spec"

I bought these boards in Canada from CAP-IT with a 5-year warranty from AMP Research. The employees there seemed pretty sure the powdercoat defect will not be covered by warranty but AMP-Research seems to say otherwise.

EDIT:I am currently filing a claim with AMP regarding this defect. STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES
The following users liked this post:
Harley_Rider (01-26-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM

AMP's excellent wonderful customer service sent me a pair of new boards today!(although I had to suck up the brokerage fee myself but that's only fair compared to what AMP had to go through).

Unfortunately, whoever installed the stainless trim on the new boards seemed to have a grudge with it and banged it up pretty good in the process.

Email sent to AMP Research again. The Saga continues...
Old 02-06-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

That's good to hear they are taking care of you, I just installed a set and mine where perfect when received. I hope mine stand up to the test of time, I've read many reviews and your issue seems to be in the minority. I do know that if things aren't properly cleaned and prepped prior to powder coating then there will be flaking as you've experienced.

Thanks for the review.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 AM

Before we take sides, let me be clear. I AM NOT ragging on them. As I clearly said, and I repeat, excellent customer service beyond my expectation so far. They responded immediately and sent me new boards.

The new boards arrived and being in Canada I was charged money for brokerage. Fair enough. But there were dents on the steel trim that made the boards look bad.

Took a pic of the dents, and said hey I'm not pointing fingers as it could be UPS fault, although the packing box looks pristine. AMP said sorry let me send you another pair of new boards. I said that's not necessary, as I really only need new trims but the rep insisted and assured he would double check to make sure no dents.

Second set of boards arrived. Brokerage fee charged again. Ok fine. Should be good this time backed by the rep. Guess what? Dents on trim again but in different locations. I sent them an email and never heard back since. This is frustrating and to be honest I don't think I would pursue this much further as they were quite generous to send me new boards already albeit perfect ones two times in a row.

With that being said, however, the stainless trim is really just a decorative/aesthetic piece. Dents on them just ruins the whole purpose of having them. If I were to know that they would keep sending dented boards I would not have asked them to send the second set again
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 AM

In reference to another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo1 View Post
The stainless edges are a separate piece correct? And by the pics of the flaked board is it possible that if the stainless edges are put on after the fact that they gouged or chipped the powdercoat when they were put on?

Good point and in fact, I've considered that too. Would it be that the trim gouged the powdercoat and caused it to flake? On top of that, I asked myself would it be possible that contstant vibration between the board surface and trim while driving accelerate wear? That could be a possibility but I ruled that out because although the flaking is close to the trim, you can clearly see that the powdercoat immediately next to the trim is still intact.

That is, there is a noticeable amount of powdercoat left between the flake and the trim which means the flaking did not start at the place where the trim contact the powdercoat. It seems to be caused by stepping on the board as the board on the otherside is beginning to show signs of chipping too.

Interesting, way back when i first saw the powdercoat flaking, it was a smaller patch. At first thinking it was snow I tried to wipe it with a tissue which led to a whole section flaking off. This is telling me it could have been poor powdercoating prep in the first place.

Also note in the picture other spots are flaking too. And believe me I've taken care of the boards above and beyond. I only wash them with mild detergent designed for cars and I've installed mud flaps to prevent rocks being flung on them. Working in the office, I only wear dress shoes when stepping on these boards and the occasional runner/sneakers. Boots or walking on anything other than pavement is not my thing

So therefore I conclude these boards are far from military spec. Or just mine in particular. Do i love them? Of course I do but am I disappointed? somewhat. I've had bumpers, motorcycle footpegs, and wheels powdercoated long before owning these boards and none of them has shown signs of wear & tear

Quick Reply: Powdercoat flaking off already?? 1 year review of AMP PowerStep