Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastidip

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plastidip vs herculiner on running boards

Plastidip-bkaesp3.jpg

Just bought this 2014 STX last week. I'm taking it to get the windows tinted this week and Was thinking about getting the running boards plasti dipped too Looking for reviews/reccomendations/suggestions from anyone who has used plasti dip before. I'm also considering herculiner for a mlre permanent change if anyone has any thoughts on that. I want to get the emblems plasti dipped black and then paint the "f-150" red.

Last edited by SparkyLU26; 07-07-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awww man good choice my emblems on my truck are dipped and also my front and back bumpers are dipped. it works really good, eventually i want to get actual black emblems but don't feel like spending the money at the moment. heres a picture of my truck you can see the emblem and the bumper
good luck and let me know how that goes for you man!!!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:12 PM
pdt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Plasti dip works great for blacking out emblems but I wouldn't do it on running boards because stepping on it will rub it off
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

You could easily use plasti dip on the running boards but what I would recommend is tapping off the actual part you or your passengers would step on cuz with you and other people constantly stepping on it while getting in and out could tear it. I can't tell from the pic but it does look like the running boards you currently have, have the black rubber/plastic runner along the top for people to step on. So I would tape those off and put a good 5-6 coats on it. The more coats you do the stronger the dip will be and on you last coat while the dip is still wet start peeling the tape cuz if you let it dry before peeling the tape it will tear the dip.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKAO1029
You could easily use plasti dip on the running boards but what I would recommend is tapping off the actual part you or your passengers would step on cuz with you and other people constantly stepping on it while getting in and out could tear it. I can't tell from the pic but it does look like the running boards you currently have, have the black rubber/plastic runner along the top for people to step on. So I would tape those off and put a good 5-6 coats on it. The more coats you do the stronger the dip will be and on you last coat while the dip is still wet start peeling the tape cuz if you let it dry before peeling the tape it will tear the dip.
I have the same running boards as Sparky and it's very easy to pop the plastic inserts off. When I dipped mine, I took the running boards off of the truck took the plastic step inserts off and dipped the rest. Once dried, just snap the foot grips back in place. It really is a piece of cake. I've had mine plastidipped for about a year and a half and they've worn very well. Only a few nicks underneath from rocks and whatnot hitting them as I've been driving. Nothing that I've felt to fix as it's only noticeable if you're under the truck!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Stormtrooper

Received 56 Likes on 56 Posts

spray clear coat over the plasti dip. it wont come off so easy after that
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Nice colour! Same as mine. On the boards, I think I'd bedline them. I have a set of wheels on my Ranger I dipped, and they held up very well through our last winter, but, I think the boards would get even more abrasion from stepping in and out, and gravel and other crap hitting them.
What you could do, is dip them, and see if you like the look first, and go from there. PlastiDip has a clear as well if you decide to just stay with that. DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum
On the badges, dip works great. I removed my tailgate badge and did what you're talking about. Problem is, that even using the PQ paint code, with touchup paint from the dealer, it didn't turn out to be the same shade as Race Red. Don't know why.
Attached Thumbnails Plastidip-p1010333-800x450-.jpg  

Last edited by johnday in BFE; 07-08-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by johnday
Nice colour! Same as mine. On the boards, I think I'd bedline them. I have a set of wheels on my Ranger I dipped, and they held up very well through our last winter, but, I think the boards would get even more abrasion from stepping in and out, and gravel and other crap hitting them.
What you could do, is dip them, and see if you like the look first, and go from there. PlastiDip has a clear as well if you decide to just stay with that. DipYourCar.com Plasti Dip Community Forum
On the badges, dip works great. I removed my tailgate badge and did what you're talking about. Problem is, that even using the PQ paint code, with touchup paint from the dealer, it didn't turn out to be the same shade as Race Red. Don't know why.
Thanks john. How off is the color? Is it very noticeable? Does it still look good? Also did you just take the badges off and spray them?

Edit: did you use the clear coat too on top of the red?

Last edited by SparkyLU26; 07-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,052 Likes on 6,499 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyLU26
Thanks john. How off is the color? Is it very noticeable? Does it still look good? Also did you just take the badges off and spray them?

Edit: did you use the clear coat too on top of the red?
It's off a shade or so. I think what may have happened, is that I painted right over the black letters/numbers. I plan on taking them back off, and spray the letters/numbers white, and then reapply the red. I notice the difference, and it just erks me. Yes, it still looks good, but just the off shade.
BTW, that's black PlastiDip, over the chrome, and no clear was used.
I discovered something pretty cool though. If you take the clear PlastiDip, and spray it over chrome, it gives the chrome a nice toned down sheen. Not shiny, almost like a brushed effect. LOL, I've actuallt thought of spraying ALL the chrome on my truck to tone down the chrome. I'm not a real big fan of lots of chrome, actually, the less the better. In fact, I have zero chrome on my Ranger except for the lugnuts.
Attached Thumbnails Plastidip-p1010285-800x450-.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 07:33 PM

Default Plasti dip

Here is what I attempted last night. Not too bad!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Plastidip