Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plasmaglow Fire and Ice LED Tailgate Bar - A possible fix to your Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 PM
The LED Man

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Plasmaglow Fire and Ice LED Tailgate Bar - A possible fix to your Problems

This thread was not created for others to flame the product. I know how these threads can get.

If you don't like the product. Fine. If you enjoy the product. Fine.

I bought two 60" Plasmaglow Fire and Ice bars as Christmas gifts. One for my dad and one for myself. We recently installed them on our 2008 F150's, since it was warm outside for once!

We ran into some problems with our parking lights and turn signals after the installation. Either all lights would blink, or the turn signal would stay on steady.

Here is my email to Plasmaglow in a nutshell,

My father and I both have 2008 Ford F150's with the 4 pin trailer harness. We both have a Fire and Ice bar and we are running into a problem. The bar works fine until you turn on the parking/head lights. Then, the left turn signal stays on steady or all lights flash together.

I can't imagine two defective bars making this happen to our trucks, is there a fix for this?

Thanks,
Tony
And here is their response,

This has been a common issue with new F150s, Chevy's and Dodge trucks. What is occurring is there is a back feed due to receiving just a little too much power from the truck (the LEDs on the bar do not take a lot of power in the first place). In turn, the bar will short out or blow out a diode in the bar causing for the issues you are experiencing. What you need is a diode adapter which we have designed especially for this bar, for this problem. The bars will have to be replaced at this point as there is no way it can be repaired once it has this problem. I will need your name, address and phone number information in order to issue you an RA#. Thank you .

PlasmaGlow
Warranty Department

By "new" I don't know what years Plasmaglow are talking about. I just assumed 08-09. I searched multiple F150/Truck forums for hours trying to find an answer to this question. So I feel like posting this for others to see, and find via search. I could have used an thread like this one. It would have saved a lot of headache.

Last edited by AJRogers; 02-09-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, at least they are replacing w/o a fight. Curious that they do not offer this info as you buy it. Might save them alot of $$. Thanx for the info.

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 02-09-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

thats a lie. All of the bars are made by the same asian company...and the wiring issue is not due to "too much power".

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 02-09-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM
The LED Man

Originally Posted by obusnizzle
thats a lie. All of the bars are made by the same asian company...and the wiring issue is not due to "too much power".
If it's a lie or not, I don't know. But it's not a bogus theory. LED's do not run on 12 volts. They need a resistor to run on 12volts, so with newer vehicles spiking up around the 15, 16 volt range at times an LED could easily take in too much.

But the issue with the bar, is the diode blowing due to the spike of power. Not the LED's. But the same theory applies. I'm sure they had it wired for 12, maybe 14volt max.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude I feel ya, I've delt with two of those things, now I have an 05' STX and my friend has an 05'XLT. Mine went on fine and works great have had it for about a year now not a single problem, got my buddy one this christmas and the lights didn't even work for one and two his tailgate had some kind of drain tube coming out of the bottom of it, so when the light is installed he cannot lower his tailgate with-out it smashing into the light. If you read the forums on that thing they are a lot of negative comments about them saying there junk, which makes me think I just got lucky.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by AJRogers
If it's a lie or not, I don't know. But it's not a bogus theory. LED's do not run on 12 volts. They need a resistor to run on 12volts, so with newer vehicles spiking up around the 15, 16 volt range at times an LED could easily take in too much.

But the issue with the bar, is the diode blowing due to the spike of power. Not the LED's. But the same theory applies. I'm sure they had it wired for 12, maybe 14volt max.
well.....they shouldnt be spiking a higher voltage range. My ScanGauge never shows above 14.2 volts.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM
The LED Man

Originally Posted by brub27
Dude I feel ya, I've delt with two of those things, now I have an 05' STX and my friend has an 05'XLT. Mine went on fine and works great have had it for about a year now not a single problem, got my buddy one this christmas and the lights didn't even work for one and two his tailgate had some kind of drain tube coming out of the bottom of it, so when the light is installed he cannot lower his tailgate with-out it smashing into the light. If you read the forums on that thing they are a lot of negative comments about them saying there junk, which makes me think I just got lucky.

The new bars have pieces you can pop out for the tailgate stop. So at least they are addressing the issues that come up.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's good.

Quick Reply: Plasmaglow Fire and Ice LED Tailgate Bar - A possible fix to your Problems