Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OH console wiring.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH console wiring.

Hi guys... I'm installing a dash cam in my 2002 F150 and want to power it from the overhead console.

I've opened up the console cover and revealed the power supply wires that feed it and I just need to know which wires are 12VDC and ground.

Here's what I see

There's two rows of wires going into the connector, each row, three wires.

row 1
white
purple with black stripe
blue with orange stripe

row 2
black
blue with red stripe
red with black stripe.

I suspect the white and black wires are the one's I want but I'd love to have confirmation or a wiring diagram if possible.

Thanks

Last edited by PeterAL; 04-17-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:18 AM

Hmmmm over 70 views but no answers....

I've done a bit more research, but have been unable to find any wiring diagrams at the library.

I took my little test lamp and stuck it in the white wire jack and it is 12VDC and is switched from the ignition switch, so that is what i want... and it seems none of the other connections are live, although I have it disconnected from the console, so perhaps there's current there when connected.

But I pretty confident that the white wire is my 12VDC.

I also used my multimeter to check for continuity to a ground connection. The black wire WAS connected to ground but then so were many of the other pins, so I'm not sure that the black wire is the designated ground.

I'd be glad to hear from you if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Resident Worm Drowner

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Do you need a constant power or only when the ignition is on?
If you need a constant, you may tap the constant wire to the map lights, I believe it's orange/white. Should be 3 wires to map lights: ground, constant, and door switch activated.

Edit: I have an 01. Not sure what yours is.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Ringleader;3438569]Do you need a constant power or only when the ignition is on?
If you need a constant, you may tap the constant wire to the map lights, I believe it's orange/white. Should be 3 wires to map lights: ground, constant, and door switch activated.

Edit: I have an 01. Not sure what yours is.[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply.

Mine is an '02.

It does not have map lights, just the OH console with compass and temp display, a switch to turn it on and off, and two pockets, one for sunglasses and one for a garage door opener.

I do not want a constant power, but rather switched, which as far as I can tell is the white one...

I DID manage to find a wiring diagram which is supposed to be for the '02 OH console, but it shows wires for a roof opening, courtesy lamps (map lamps?) and for an ambient air temp sensor. So, the diagram is not really helpful, nor conclusive...

I have one more source for diagrams, which I will consult after Easter and if I cannot find anything I'm gonna test the dash cam using the white and black wires and see how it goes.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Resident Worm Drowner

Gotcha. Mine's a Screw, so the wiring is probably a little different due to the number/orientation of lights I have.
You may want to test with a light before you test with the dash cam, just in case. Cheaper to replace a burned bulb than a burned cam, lol.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Ringleader
Gotcha. Mine's a Screw, so the wiring is probably a little different due to the number/orientation of lights I have.
You may want to test with a light before you test with the dash cam, just in case. Cheaper to replace a burned bulb than a burned cam, lol.

What is a screw????

Anyhow, good idea testing with a light... the cam only draws one amp. So if I get a small 1 amp bulb that should be a good test, huh?

Screw... Crew Cab? Mine's just the extended cab.. small enough for two additional people to be really uncomfortable.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Resident Worm Drowner

Screw = Supercrew
Scab = Supercab
Any small light should work, as long as you ground it and then touch to the wire you're thinking of. If it flickers or illuminates only with the key on, you should be good to go. May not be a bad idea to add a small fusable link in there, just to be safe.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ringleader
Screw = Supercrew
Scab = Supercab
Any small light should work, as long as you ground it and then touch to the wire you're thinking of. If it flickers or illuminates only with the key on, you should be good to go. May not be a bad idea to add a small fusable link in there, just to be safe.
The test light I have is a cheap one and has a small light in it and lit when touch to the connection with the key on, and not when I turned the key off, so I think I am good to go as far as the 12vDC goes.. I'm just not sure about the ground, but I'm gonna test it on the black wire and see what happens.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterAL
The test light I have is a cheap one and has a small light in it and lit when touch to the connection with the key on, and not when I turned the key off, so I think I am good to go as far as the 12vDC goes.. I'm just not sure about the ground, but I'm gonna test it on the black wire and see what happens.
You could also just make your own ground instead of trying to tie into the factory one in the plug.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by benchwarmer4203
You could also just make your own ground instead of trying to tie into the factory one in the plug.

Thanks... good idea...

I thought of that, but not sure where I would do that in that OH console housing. There are couple mounting screws there, I'll check them..

Just to be clear... if i test for continuity between one of those mounting screws, and a known ground, like the outer rim of the cigar lighter, then if it is connected, that should be good, right? I'll be using the ohms test part of the multimeter to test for current flow.

Thanks for your input...

Last edited by PeterAL; 04-19-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OH console wiring.