Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no frills aftermarket backup cam/monitor install. pics of monitor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no frills aftermarket backup cam/monitor install. pics of monitor

The truck: 2014 F150 SCab XLT

Thought I would add my no frills install explanation.

The back up cam is one that mounts to the license plate frame. It has a single wire ending in a connector. The mating connector splits to a red power wire and black ground wire. There is a separate yellow rca connector.

This is not a wireless install, therefore I needed the 20 foot length of cable with yellow rca jacks on either end. The cable also has a short length of red wire at each connector that are not used for this install.

The monitor has a yellow and a white rca jack as well as a connector that like the camera, splits to a red power and black ground wire.

The Install:

Camera: Has 7 infrared lights for night vision -- and it works great!
I secured the cam to the license plate frame on the back of the truck. I found a bolt under the truck for the black wire to ground to. I removed the passenger side tail light and removed the socket with the reverse bulb in it. It has two wires, a black ground and a striped power wire. I removed a short piece of insulation from the striped wired, connected the bare end of the camera red power wire to it and wrapped everything up with electrical tape. Now, how to get in the cab.

Moving up along the passenger side, there is a round rubber grommet/plug visible when you remove the plastic door sill piece. Just pull the sill off. Coming from the rear of the truck, you'll see the round rubber grommet just before you get to the rear door catch. Cut a small x in the grommet, push the yellow jack from the 20 foot wire thru from the top and lead it back to the waiting yellow rca jack on the camera. Tape up for water resistance and zip tie the wire to the frame to keep it safe. Now, it's a simple matter of running the rest of the wire next to the wires in the door sill up to the kick panel on the passenger side. Re install the door sill cover. I did not require the short lengths of wire coming from the rca jacks. These are for a trigger switch. The monitor did not have an extra trigger wire.

I put my monitor (a flip up model) in the tray on the dash. To keep it neat I removed the rubber (?) mat and removed the two bolts that hold the tray in place. The tray comes out with a slight push toward the windshield and lift up. I then placed the monitor on the mat, marked the location where the wires came from the monitor and drilled a hole thru the mat and tray for the wires to go thru. Two important notes: 1. I notched the bottom corner of the monitor base underneath so the wires no longer stuck out the back of the unit. 2. Though it may not look it, the mat may look square but it has an orientation so pay attention before you make any holes. Same goes for the tray itself. Be sure the tabs face the driver compartment before making holes. The hole is underneath the monitor base so the wires are not visible. The glove box door swings down out of the way by squeezing the sides slightly. It's now easy to drop the wires down and across behind that door opening. Lead your yellow rca jack from the 20' wire and connect to the monitor yellow rca. The white jack is not used. I found I needed to add a ground point for the black monitor ground wire so I drilled a sheet metal screw into the door sill under the plastic cover and put it there out of sight. Now, there are a few ways of connecting power. I didn't want the monitor powered when the truck was shut off sooooo.....I found the fuse for the reverse lights (same circuit I believe that the cam is wired to) and connected the monitor red power wire to there. I'm using the fuse box behind the passenger kick panel. Put the double sided tape on the bottom of the monitor, place it where you like in the tray, replace the two bolts, button everything up, and see if it works.

This is how it looks in the dash tray when closed

....and when open. Opens instantly. It's plastic so I will probably keep it open all winter due to cold and the chance of it maybe cracking. Note also the red/yellow/green reference lines.

Hope this is of help to someone.

Last edited by farmboy57; 07-15-2016 at 07:38 AM. Reason: more info
Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 PM

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Scanned through it quickly, but looks like a good write up! Something I've been interested in, so I'm subbing so I can read it a bit more in detail later on. Thanks for the write up man!
Old 07-19-2016, 01:51 AM
Iraq Lobster!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

what camera and monitor did you use? Do you mind PM'ing me with the info, as well as posing here? I have trouble following posts with the speed this forum moves and the time I have to look at it. I'm thinking that it might be good for a front camera addition too.