Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative experience with local LineX shop (Fredericksburg, VA)

Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Negative experience with local LineX shop (Fredericksburg, VA)

I wanted to share my recent experience with you all in case anyone is in the Fredericksburg, VA area and looking to get a Line-X bedliner sprayed-in. This review is for the Line-X location located at 712 Warrenton Road, Fredericksburg, VA (Stafford County).

On Friday, June 10th, I called Line-X of Fredericksburg to ask for pricing, and the female I spoke with (later to be determined as the owner of the franchise) advised me of the pricing and how far in advance that I should schedule. She also explained the difference between the three products (Standard, Premium and Platinum). I got off the phone as I decided I would call back the next day to schedule my appointment.

Saturday, June 11th, I called Line-X of Fredericksburg back, and spoke with the owner again. I provided some basic information about my vehicle, and we went over any discounts that I would be given. The best discount I qualified for was the returning customer discount, and I was quoted a price of $540 with the discount for the Premium (mid-grade) product. I went ahead and agreed to the price, and scheduled my appointment for Saturday, June 18th. She advised me to drop the truck off at 8am, and it would be ready before 5pm that day.

Saturday, June 18th (I will break the day up into separate events for easier reading).
7:45AM: I arrived at the location about 15 minutes prior to opening as I arrive early for just about anything. When I arrived, there were no other trucks being dropped off, no other customers waiting, and no Line-X employees to take in my truck yet. I waited outside of the door.

8:00AM: An employee (younger male) walked from the parking lot towards the door and asked me if I was dropping my truck off, which I answered yes. He unlocked the door and invited me into the shop. He walked to a back room to turn on some equipment, then said he needed to clock in. After waiting just a few moments, he asked me to fill out a form. This form asked for my name, address, and phone number, which I completed. Once finished, he asked me to come out so he could go over the truck with me. He did a walk around, obviously looking for any dents, scratches, or imperfections to notate on the form (he didn't tell me what he was doing, I just had read the top portion of the form that he was filling out as we went). He then took my key, told me I was good to go, and walked back inside. While pulling out of the parking lot, he stopped me and asked which bedliner I was having installed. I advised him that I wanted Premium, and he said "Okay" and walked away. I left the parking lot and went home.

4:00PM: I arrived back at Line-X to find that my truck was still in the bay to be sprayed. I approached the employee that I spoke with this morning to ask how much longer it would be to determine if I should grab dinner and come back or wait. He said, "About 30 minutes". I decided I had enough time to leave and come back, so I left a few moments later.

4:30PM: I arrived back at Line-X again, and this time, all of the employees were standing at the far end of the bay working on something. After about 5 minutes, I was finally able to get someone's attention, and I was told that they were having some issues with the equipment that sprays the product, and it would be a few more minutes before my truck would be done. I figured, alright, I can wait a few minutes. At this time, there is another customer here that is picking up his truck that had been sprayed. The applicator (which was later found out to be the location's manager) stopped working on the equipment to finalize the transaction for the other customer waiting.

4:45PM: About 15 minutes goes by, and another customer arrived to pick up his truck. Once again, the manager stopped working on the equipment to finalize this transaction aswell.

4:50PM: The manager comes out of the office that the payments are handled in. I stop him to ask him a few questions, and this is how the conversation goes.
ME: "What order do you spray the trucks in?"
MANAGER: "The waiters (customers waiting for their trucks at the location) get done first, then we handle the trucks in the order they came in after they are done".
ME:"Alright, well you had a waiter at 9am, 10am, and 11am (all of the information was on a whiteboard in the shop). My truck was the first one in this morning for drop-off, so why was it not sprayed before the other drop-offs?"
MANAGER: "We don't do them in the order they come in, we do them in the order they are scheduled."
ME: "But you just said they are done in the order they come in when I asked you before. What order do you do them in?"
MANAGER: "We did the other truck first because it had a tonneau cover which takes more time, so we had to do that one before yours."

At this time, I was frustrated because he continued to change his answers to the question. I asked him to just go back and finish trying to fix the equipment so that I could leave.

5:30PM: The manager comes outside, where I am now standing, and tells me the store owner is on the phone and that she wants to talk to me. She tells me that they are not going to be able to finish spraying the truck today, because they will need to order a new part. I let her know that I understand equipment breaks, but I would have appreciated them telling me this an hour before-hand so that I wouldn't have waited around for nothing. She lets me know that the part will be in on Monday, and I will be able to pick up the truck on Tuesday (Note: no specific time on Tuesday was specified). She offers me a rental car and I decline it as I have a second vehicle. She then asks me, "What can I do to help?" I tell her I'm not sure, because at this rate, I don't have my truck. She says, "Alright, well you were originally getting the Premium bedliner. How about we give you the premium for the price of the standard bedliner, which is $425." I tell her that the price would be acceptable. After speaking with her a little longer, I let her know about the issue I had that other trucks were done ahead of mine, and that my truck was dropped off first that morning. She agreed that my truck should have been done before the other drop-offs as mine was there first. She also told me that I did have an appointment for premium so it should have been a priority to have done. She then said, "How about the Platinum bedliner? Would you rather have that?" I ask if this would be for the same price for $425, and she replies, "Of course it would be". I then agree to a platinum bedliner for $425. She closes the conversation and I leave for the day.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 AM

Default Tuesday - Back to pick up the truck

Tuesday, June 21st (I will break the day up again)
2:05PM: I arrived at the Line-X location and immediately notice that my truck is not parked outside. I pull around to the bays, and my truck is still located inside of the bay, covered in plastic. Keep in mind, the truck should have been sprayed yesterday during the day. I did not receive any phone calls, text messages, emails, or voicemails letting me know that it wasn't done. I walk inside to see what is going on.

2:10PM: After 5 minutes, I am finally able to get someone's attention (the same person I dropped my truck off with on Saturday morning; he had his headphones in and playing on his phone). I asked him why my truck wasn't done, and he said, "Oh, the parts just came in a little bit ago so it's not ready yet". I asked him to give me the owner's phone number, which he did.

2:15PM: I call the store owner to see if she knows that my truck isn't ready. She advised me that she does know, and she was sorry that it wasn't done. I asked her why she couldn't have called me to let me know, and she said she just didn't because it was a frustrating situation. One phone call to me anytime on Monday or Tuesday morning would have prevented me from arriving and finding my truck not completed. I spoke with the owner on the phone, and she became very sarcastic after I asked her why I couldn't have received just a simple phone call. I wasn't upset as much that the truck wasn't done, just the lack of communication. She spoke with me for awhile and offered to buy me lunch, which I turned down. I asked her if she could just apply the cost of my lunch to the price of the bedliner, as I was now stuck waiting, and she said very sarcastically, "Anything for you, sir". At this point I was frustrated and got off the phone.

4:00PM: My truck is finally finished and the employees begin removing the plastic off of the truck. They drive it outside and park it in front of the bays. I begin to look it over, and notice that there are small chunks of Line-X all over the bedliner. I ask one of the employees why, and he said he would have to get the manager. I waited by my truck, as I thought he was going to get the manager.

4:10PM: The manager walks out into the bay and yells "You can come pay now." I let him know that I had a question, and he walked over to the truck frustrated and asked me, "What?" I asked him why there were small chunks of Line-X material. He looked at the bedliner, flaked one off, and said, "They just come off. It has a lifetime warranty, so just get it fixed if it gets bad". At this point, I just wanted to leave, so I decided to follow him in to pay. As I had spoken with the owner on Saturday, I already knew what the cost would be, so I brought $425 in cash with me to pay. Imagine my surprise when the cost is suddenly $570. I let him know that the owner had spoken with me, and we agreed on $425. He said, "That's not the price. You upgraded to Platinum, so it's $425 plus the cost to upgrade." I let him know that she had agreed to do the Platinum for the same price, and then proceeded to call the onwer to let her know the issue I was having.

4:15PM: I call the owner and let her know what's going on. She says, "No, I said you could have the premium for $425. Since you wanted platinum, you need to pay the difference?" I told her that I didn't even mention platinum, and it wasn't even brought up until she offered it. She got very upset with me on the phone, and said, "Fine, it's $425 then." I asked her to hold on while I put the manager on the phone, and he said "I don't need to talk to her." I disconnected with the owner, and the manager rang me up for $425, handed me my paperwork, and I left the office in my truck.

I feel the need to share this experience as I do not agree with the way the owner and manager spoke with me, nor do I agree with the deceptive pricing or terms that were made on the phone. I didn't once ask for anything free or discounted other than the cost of my lunch; everything was offered to me, and I accepted the Platinum bedliner at a cost of $425. I shouldn't have had to argue the price again when it came time to pay. I also feel that it is the business's responsibility to notify a customer if the project was delayed for any reason. Like I said before, I wasn't upset that the project was delayed, just that I wasn't notified. I could have easily come later to pick up my truck, had I known it wasn't going to be done Saturday or Tuesday.

I hope this review helps someone that is looking to have their truck sprayed by Line-X of Fredericksburg.

Last edited by Humvee256; 06-23-2016 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:29 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

I urge you to use resources other than this forum that will better match your area. www.bbb.org, Yelp, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Humvee256 (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 AM

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

That is horrible service. I would tell everyone about how bad the service is . I wouldn't go back there ever again. Is that lifetime warranty good for wherever lines is applied ?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Delz
Is that lifetime warranty good for wherever lines is applied ?

http://www.linex.com/pages/2010/bedl...e_warranty.php

NATIONWIDE LIFETIME WARRANTY
Every LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliner comes standard with a Nationwide Lifetime Warranty that's valid at any of our 400+ LINE-X locations. A LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliner is guaranteed not to crack, bubble, or flake for as long as you own your truck. So, no matter how tough the daily wear and tear you put your bedliner through, LINE-X has you covered.

In the unlikely event that the LINE-X Spray-On Truck Bedliner does crack, bubble or flake, simply take the vehicle, Warranty Certificate and original receipt to the LINE-X Franchise that applied the bedliner for a full repair at no cost to you. If you are a considerable distance away from the original Franchise, you can visit any LINE-X location across the country.

"At LINE-X we believe in protecting our customers with both our products and our service. When customers buy a LINE-X bedliner, they know it's fully backed by the LINE-X Corporation and their local LINE-X franchise."
- Kevin Heronimus, LINE-X CEO
Old 06-24-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I urge you to use resources other than this forum that will better match your area. www.bbb.org, Yelp, etc.
I plan on going this route as well. I am working on a shortened review for Yelp, as this one is too many characters. I have also reached out to Line-X Corporate, and was told that the regional manager would contact me back today.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Line-X of Fredericksburg a couple years ago and had a completely opposite experience; Christine (the owner?) was nothing but pleasant and accomodating, and went out of her way to address a problem, and paid for the parts to fix it.
In my case, I left my truck for a few days, and they had put the liner on so thick that one of the screws attaching the "hook retainers" (not sure what to call them - the things insidfe the bed you can hook onto) was now too short; Christine found some stainless screws that were a little longer, and we replaced all of them.
The only other issue I had was that the Line-X was too thick in the tailgate area, and my tailgate wouldn't allows stay closed; again they took care of it, at no charge.
Everyone has a bad day now and then, but it appears you felll into several in a row!
BTW - I went for the color-matched premium, and got a discount for having bought my truck from Purvis Ford; as I remember Line-X also offers military and LE discounts.
KevinL
Old 06-24-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Well KJLong, it really only takes one bad experience doesnt it? OP, You are much nicer than I. There is NO WAY I am leaving my truck overnight when the gut feeling I am having is telling me to just LEAVE.....Sorry for your ordeal...I have been this route and now I always get it in writing. I would have had her talk with the manager the day that she offered this and had him transfer this new information onto my paperwork. Shame...Customer service is not something you play once in a while when the sky is blue...it is a commitment that you provide each and every customer with. Its why they call it "CUSTOMER" service. Prior to the USMC, I worked in retail so I know the importance of offering nothing but excellence all the time as well as the importance when you dont. Lack thereof always takes the persona of upper management, in this case, owner down.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by KJLong
I used Line-X of Fredericksburg a couple years ago and had a completely opposite experience; Christine (the owner?) was nothing but pleasant and accomodating, and went out of her way to address a problem, and paid for the parts to fix it.
In my case, I left my truck for a few days, and they had put the liner on so thick that one of the screws attaching the "hook retainers" (not sure what to call them - the things insidfe the bed you can hook onto) was now too short; Christine found some stainless screws that were a little longer, and we replaced all of them.
The only other issue I had was that the Line-X was too thick in the tailgate area, and my tailgate wouldn't allows stay closed; again they took care of it, at no charge.
Everyone has a bad day now and then, but it appears you felll into several in a row!
BTW - I went for the color-matched premium, and got a discount for having bought my truck from Purvis Ford; as I remember Line-X also offers military and LE discounts.
KevinL
Thank you for sharing your positive experience. I have used Line-X before and I didn't have any issues, either. Unfortunately, these issues just continued to stack on top of each other, and they all had to do with a lack of customer service. I know that people have bad day(s), but for a business owner and a store manager to take their frustrations out on a customer is absolutely not acceptable by any means.

It seems like the only customers that are important to this location are dealership customers, as they seem to take them as more important.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by 2016BoostedGreyGoose
Well KJLong, it really only takes one bad experience doesnt it? OP, You are much nicer than I. There is NO WAY I am leaving my truck overnight when the gut feeling I am having is telling me to just LEAVE.....Sorry for your ordeal...I have been this route and now I always get it in writing. I would have had her talk with the manager the day that she offered this and had him transfer this new information onto my paperwork. Shame...Customer service is not something you play once in a while when the sky is blue...it is a commitment that you provide each and every customer with. Its why they call it "CUSTOMER" service. Prior to the USMC, I worked in retail so I know the importance of offering nothing but excellence all the time as well as the importance when you dont. Lack thereof always takes the persona of upper management, in this case, owner down.
Trust me, I was not happy about leaving my truck there. I hated to leave my 500 mile truck with a group of kids that I can't even trust to install a bedliner because of a lack of integrity and customer service skills. It was a long weekend not knowing what they would do to my truck while it was there and I wasn't there to watch. It's a shame that customer service is dying, and this is the reason why so many online stores are succeeding, and pushing brick-and-mortar stores out; there isn't any customer service or face to the name unless there is a problem with an online transaction.

I've always supported local business over chains or online stores, if the prices are somewhat comparable. But this is one of those times that I wish I had looked at another option.

Search this Thread