Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my rear shocks upside down? Boss / F150 Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Are my rear shocks upside down? Boss / F150 Lifts

It's been a hectic day and I just picked up my truck from having the Boss Ultimate Kit installed and new 285/65/20 tires mounted to my OEM wheels. I was more focused on looking over the front installation and didn't notice the back install until I got home. I took a minute to look things and noticed two things:
  1. Stock rear block was left on and the 2.5" block was added directly on top of it
  2. The shock boot was sagging funny when seen from the side because the shock appears to be upside down.

I'll be returning to the shop first thing tomorrow morning to have them remove the stock block and switch the shock orientation so that the thicker part is up. Looking around the interwebs, I've seen photos of some who have their shocks with the thick end down. But, I haven't seen any photos of the Boss setup with the thick end down, yet. So, are mine upside down?

Maybe Alex from F150 Lifts can chime in?

Boss Ultimate Kit rear shocks installed upside down and 2.5" block installed on top of stock block.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 AM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Can't see the entire shock so it's hard to tell. But usually the body is on the bottom and the boot is on the top.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Ambassador of Aloha

Thanks, Scott91370. These are installed with the boot up/body down. I'm not experienced enough to know differently, I just assumed it would be the opposite because of the way it looks. Having read up a little on rear shock installation now, it seems it could go either way, but some argue the the boot down is more likely to allow for any debris to escape if/when it ever gets through the boot.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Alex has said specifically numerous times that the boots are supposed to be installed down. Those are upside down. I asked myself a few times to be sure when I installed the kit on mine myself. Crazy shop made a few mistakes there.
The following users liked this post:
SURF150 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Ambassador of Aloha

Thanks for all the input, guys. I did a little digging in these forums and came across a thread from back in October 2014, where Alex from F150 Lifts replied to this same question. At that time, he said it didn't matter which way the rear shock was installed; boot up or down. It's possible that between then and now a new manufacturer or design was implemented that might encourage installing the shocks 'boot down'; who knows.

I plan on calling Alex and asking him, too. The image attached is from the conversation regarding the installation. Here's the thread: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/f150li...271489/index4/

Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Okay, just wanted to share an update. I spoke with Alex from F150 Lifts and he confirmed that the design intent was for installation of the boot going downward. Looks like I'll be flipping mine right-side up! Hope this helps others.

Quick Reply: Are my rear shocks upside down? Boss / F150 Lifts