Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mixed reviews on cold air intakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default mixed reviews on cold air intakes

Hey fellas , i'de like to ask a couple questions about cold air intakes and if they are benificial . I've read they dont do much for our trucks , and also read they do help with throttle response and milage . OK so , i was in the dealership they were saying the cold air filter has bigger holes then stock and also the would let dirt into your engine if u do a lot of driving on dusty roads , which i do , driving to work and hunting . Any thoughts on that ? Also which tube set up is better , plastic or stainless ?? And last but not least dry or oiled filter ? Thank you very much for input ! This will help me decide whether or not to get one .
Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know too much but, only buy it for the sound, not any "performance gains". They're negligible if there's any at all. I believe dry is recommended since, the oil filters can gunk things up.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a K&N cold air intake on my truck, i gained 2 MPG's with it, made my exhaust sound deeper and made throttle response better. If you intake a lot of dust probably best not to get one as yes, they do let more particles in. a dry filter is recommended and i went with plastic tubing. was easy to install did it within and hour and only needed a few tools.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua.Tepz
I have a K&N cold air intake on my truck, i gained 2 MPG's with it, made my exhaust sound deeper and made throttle response better. If you intake a lot of dust probably best not to get one as yes, they do let more particles in. a dry filter is recommended and i went with plastic tubing. was easy to install did it within and hour and only needed a few tools.
ok , dang . Was looking forward to maybe throwing one on and getting some power ! Thanks for the input !
Old 11-01-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It also depends on the type of CAI. Some have an enclosed filter like stock and some companies also offer pre-filters that wrap over your regular filter for dusty/dirty conditions. Think Volant.
The following users liked this post:
davieboi89 (11-07-2014)

Quick Reply: mixed reviews on cold air intakes