Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Line-X Color Match on Bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Line-X Color Match on Bumpers?

Thinking of getting the LineX color match (or their "Body Armor") sprayed on my Lariat's chrome bumpers. I'm not a huge fan of chrome and figured this would be a nice durable finish. Has anyone done this to their trucks? Would also get the color match in my bed. I had the UV Stable black-version in my last truck and it held up incredibly well.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I am actually considering doing the same thing on my '12 white supercrew fx4. I was going to do both bumpers, the flares and lower rockers up to the lower body line in the door. Basically the parts that would make up a two tone f150 are what I am considering doing. I'm curious how well the white would hold up though. Not sure I would do it all black.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:33 PM

I just spoke to a local LineX place about this. They said that either I would have to sandblast the bumpers or send them somewhere for sandblasting. They quoted $50-100 for that.

After that, it's $150-200 per bumper for the color match.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by carbinereloaded
I just spoke to a local LineX place about this. They said that either I would have to sandblast the bumpers or send them somewhere for sandblasting. They quoted $50-100 for that. After that, it's $150-200 per bumper for the color match.
Well mine are painted so it would be the same process as doing a bed liner. Just sanding down the paint a bit to get proper adhesion.

Are you inquiring about white line-x as well? I think I saw in one of your earlier threads that you were looking for white as well. If so did they say anything regarding the color to you and possibly not recommending it or not warrantying it?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 PM

That was for my last truck, my new truck is silver. They advised against doing white if I ever planned on using my bed. They said it may discolor over time and that it would stain very easily. Oddly enough, they didn't have a problem with light silver.

I will say that the Premium UV coat, or whatever it was, looked great on the white truck. It was still glossy black after 4 years in the Arizona sun with a LOT of use. I just want to go silver this time because it would look like nothing is there at first glance.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by carbinereloaded
That was for my last truck, my new truck is silver. They advised against doing white if I ever planned on using my bed. They said it may discolor over time and that it would stain very easily. Oddly enough, they didn't have a problem with light silver. I will say that the Premium UV coat, or whatever it was, looked great on the white truck. It was still glossy black after 4 years in the Arizona sun with a LOT of use. I just want to go silver this time because it would look like nothing is there at first glance.
Yea that's why I want to do mine white. I live on a mile long gravel road and having offset wheels and tires that poke out past the fenders and no flares are really starting to take a toll on my lower doors. Plus I think it would be unique and way better for durability down the road
Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the St. Louis area, all the line-x shops around here are owned by the same guy. He quoted me $600 to do my 8" bed in regular line-x, then $900 to do both of my bumpers in oxford white. His explanation for the price was white gets dirty easy....which would be my problem should not make the price be that ridiculous. I was going to get my bed done until he gave me that price on my bumpers, made me so angry. If he did not want to do the job that is fine that is all he had to say, not a fan of just throwing some ridiculous price out there so that I will not get it done. Anyway I am going to get them powder coated next month for $150, that includes sand blasting them and all.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM

I hadn't thought about powder coating... that makes a lot of sense.

Called the local shop, they wanted $600 for the basic bed-coat and a $500 up-charge for the color match.

Called a shop 120 miles away, and they will do the color match for $730, told them I am "sold" and will call them when my work schedule frees up so that I can get it done during the work week. ($430 base + $300 upcharge).

Part of the up-charge, the second shop told me, is due to them having to purge all the black coating from the lines and setup for the color. When they are done they have to purge the color out and set up for black again. From a business standpoint, I understand that it wastes materials and takes time, a $500 upcharge is just stupid.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats not a bad deal there! I would prefer to do line-x color matched but not for the quotes I was getting.....so powder coat it is. I guess on the bright side it will save me some money. Post up some pics when its done!
Old 03-20-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I will say this may be a old wife's tale but when I was looking into my line-x I had several people tell me the color match looks great for show trucks but if you actually want to use the bed get the black instead . They were referring to the liner dis coloring if cut into by something . They described it as brown rusty color. I have never seen this in person but the folks that told me I trust being they have owned trucks forever and currently have black line-x liner in there trucks they currently own.

Quick Reply: Line-X Color Match on Bumpers?