Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light covers...Paint on or Covers? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 02:48 PM
The Cold Shoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light covers...Paint on or Covers? *Pics*

So i'm interest in buying some headlight and taillight covers for my truck, y'know the ones where it gives it the all black "smoked" look. I've been browsing the forum a bit and haven't come across for something that i was looking for so i'll just ask myself.

Searching on here i've actually found out that you can apparently apply some **** to your lights that will smoke them. But i'm actually diggin the covers more. According to what i've read some are removable and are blacker and don't affect the light a bit... so i've read. But reading on here and browsing it seems that majority of you guys decide on painting on that stuff that smokes them nicely and apparently lasts longer. So anyone who has either or care to give some advice or input?

And about how much, would covers cost me? I've read about 60 for heads, and another 60 for the taillights. What about the paint thing?

Are these with the paint tinter thing, or covers? *online pics*

Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 PM

From what I can tell man those look like the GTS covers. They are the same ones that I just bought for 59.99 a pair.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, the ones shown on the F-150 are GTS covers. i bought my covers for $45 a pair, front and back, a couple of years ago. they are AutoVentshade brand, and i have gotten along great with them. the light shines through good, but i take the front ones off at night. i also tinted my fogs and third brake light with Niteshades. heres some pics.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 AM
The Cold Shoulder

Damn nice truck man. So is it safe to say that it's good to go with the GTS? I've heard of those so i feel safe buying those, especially after seeing them and hearing from an owner. Just a few question are they easy to install? Where could i find one for the 3rd brake light? And do you have a link to the 45 a pair? By pair i'm assuming it's 45 for headlights and 45 for taillight Right?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a $10.00 can of VHT Nightshades on mine, you can make them as dark as you want just by adding more coats...smartest way to go IMO
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2009, 10:40 AM
The Cold Shoulder

Oh wow, that's better than i though it would look. And can you put those on the headlights too? And how long they last, before they start wearing off if at all.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have GTS on my 93 F-150 and they are nice but they DO darken the light a good bit. Not a big deal if you live in a city but if you out in the boonies with no other light, be a noticable difference. Not hard to take off but I got tired of popping mine off if I had to go out in the country so I just added a bull guard and extra lights mounted to the bull guard :-)
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM
The Cold Shoulder

Sweet, so i'm set on the GTS'. How much did they run you Sog?

And anyone got a link to s site they recommend?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

well mine are AVS (Auto Ventshade) not the GTS, but i bought mine back in 2005, i just went to performance4trucks.com, and i see they are about $70 just for a pair now yes mine were $45 for the front and $45 for the back, so $90 for the complete set. and as i said, i also used the VHT Niteshades on my third brake light and fogs, and it works good too. just liked the covers better for the headlights so i could remove them at night. but that might be your best bet for the tails, sure makes it look clean.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
The Cold Shoulder

Yeah yeah, i saw those AVS's today while i was waiting for my truck to get tinted in a catalog (Check my album later it'll be in there as soon as i upload it).
And i asked them about the Nightshades, so i might go buy a can. Order some GTS's for my taillights and than put them on together. I figure i'll put the taillights on first since i can get those lights out lol.
Did your's require drilling or any of that?

Quick Reply: Light covers...Paint on or Covers? *Pics*