Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leer caps

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leer caps

I ordered a Leer cap for my 08 F150 it came in with in 3 weeks but the head liner was loose and not glued well, the paint was not even close to matching the truck and it had runs and dirt and chips in the paint. I had the dealer (Cap world in Waldorf Maryland) with a little attitude the dealer called leer and got a return OK. It went back and 3 weeks latter I got the cap back. The cap was a closer match the headliner was glued down better but now they got paint all over the inside of the cap on the headliner, the window hardware was all smashed and scratched and dinged up. the weatherstripping on the outside is messed up and they have a deep gouge on the outside window trim. the stickers are not even on straight.

This morning when I went to have it put back on the dealer asked me to look at it but it was 9 am raining and in a dark workshop so I couldn't see a lot, I did tell them I would know how it was Sunday when I clean up the truck and have a chance to look over it in the light. I tried calling them tonight but they had already closed.

I really think this was the cap I sent back and they just repainted it and glued down the headliner better.

I can not believe the quality control from the PA Leer plant.

Needless to say I will be going back to Cap World Monday morning.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Man, sorry to hear about the BS they are giving you.

I really want to get a PTM Leercap but I can't afford the $2k for a nice one.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:57 PM

I spent $1700 + for the 100 XR cap. The only way I could afford it was to use the tax refund and take some funds from the family vacation budget.

It may not not be all leer plants it could just be the one out of PA. that has ty workmanship.

I have a leer cap on my frontier it is extremely good quilaty. So I know what they should ' can be turning out.

It will be very interesting to see how Capworld and leer will react to me tomorrow.

I have almost every detail of the event with times dates and names down on paper, Today I am going to go out and get some pictures of the damage.

This morning I was cleaning the back glass so I can see out of it and I found 2 chips in the back glass along with a scratch.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the cooperate office of leer? I tried the email from the website and that was a waste of time.

Last edited by rickyp; 04-12-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:08 PM

here are pictures of what Leer considers acceptable, The pictures are not the best but you should get an idea of what I am talking about

Last edited by rickyp; 04-12-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Last edited by rickyp; 04-12-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Old 04-14-2009, 04:20 PM

I took the truck back to Cap world (the dealer) and he called Leer and after about 1/2 hour on the phone, he came to me and said they will replace the windows and leer told him how to clean the head liner.

I then told him that that this is not acceptable as there is to much paint in he headliner and there is no way to get it all. The dealer called Leer back and was on the phone for a while he was going back and forth looking at the cap. Leer Finlay said they will rebuild the cap for me.

I asked for the number for the leer rep in the area, The dealer wouldn't give it to me saying he can't give it to me. I was very adamit about wanting to talk with the rep so the dealer got in touch with his boss and his boss called the Leer rep and gave him my number. With in 6 hours the Rep did call me back but from a blocked number. and was little help and no remorse. all he said is we are rebuilding the cap for you what more can we do. He didn't care how much money I was out going back and forth to get this right not to mention the time and aggravation.

I will be happy if this new caps comes to me in the way it should have in the first place.

Friday I am going back and the dealer is removing the cap to send it back to leer. I did mark the cap so if it is the same one I will know it.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sucks to hear of your problems. Ive got a Leer on order. I should be hearing from them next week (unless your cap has put them behind schedule )
My cap will probably be out of the PA plant, I hope I dont have these issues. Hold your ground with them, Leers are high end, the only reason to pay more for them is their quality and support. Without that they're just another crappy overpriced piece of fiberglass.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish me luck. The dealer called today and they have my Leer in. Im taking the truck tomorrow morning for them to put it on. I hope them getting it done nearly a week early doeant mean they cut corners on it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

My father in law has a leer cap on his 94 Ranger and it's a real piece of crap.
His never fit right, it's about 2 inches wider in the front than at the back so it has always leaked.
2 different dealers confirmed it's the correct cap for the truck.

My 97 had a leer on it when I bought it, and the clear coat is coming off, and every single window on it leaks.
The previous owner has replaced hinges and gas struts multiple times.
The plastic weather seal at the bottom of the rear glass is cracked and breaking off now.

It's a shame, they make some good looking caps for our trucks, but all the ones I have been in contact are junk.

If i ever need to buy a new one, Leer is the last one I'll be looking at.
Just my opinion here......

Quick Reply: Leer caps