Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail light conversion, NEED HELP!!! F550 Dump

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED Tail light conversion, NEED HELP!!! F550 Dump

Hi, I know this is an F150 forum but I just got a 2011 F550 dump. I bought some LED tail lights for it from Pep Boys. The packaging says for Jeep Wrangler but I didn't think that should make any difference because the wrangler use the cheap trailer lights. I installed the lights and now my hazard flashers will work for lik 30 seconds and then go out. The front flashers will still work but the new rear lights will not. If I turn them off for a couple minutes and turn them on they will work for another 30 seconds and quit. I have a trailer with LED lights and the trailer lights work fine too! This is bugging the out of me! Anybody have any advice??? Thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might need an LED isolator. The front halogen lamps draw more amps (probably 8- 10 amps) than the new LED ones ( which probably draw a total of less than 2amps). The intermittant working is caused by the LED circuit protection.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:24 AM

you are gonna need to wire in a resistor (isolator, they are the same thing) to get them to work right. Unless they are already built in, then I would check your grounds.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 PM

Sounds odd i have the led ovals in my F350 dump and have no problems with them. Maybe its the lights you bought, try buying lights that are designed for the application.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by JFonseca
Sounds odd i have the led ovals in my F350 dump and have no problems with them. Maybe its the lights you bought, try buying lights that are designed for the application.
That would depend on who manufactured the dump. Ford built the chassis and its usually a third party who "outfits" the dump box/rear end. Some manufactures prefer the gromet mounted 'ovals' (lens/lamp that pressure fits into a flush opening using a rubber gasket) and other use the generic 'towing' (or jeep style) lights/housing. Both are wired the same, however the ovals may have a user selectable flasher built into them, to make them a multi-application light (ie; tow, plow, emergency vehicle). This to me sounds like the circuit protector on the new lights is actually doing its job.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:58 PM

Bones and Jayson...Thanks, I'll look into the isolator. Yes the dump body itself came with the oval LEDs already installed. The chassis from Ford has the Jeep style which nobody makes an LED application for which is why I bought the jeep ones. I too think the circuit protector in the LEDs are doing its job. The isolator should even it out. Thanks again guys
Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the bottom of this page. This should help you out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...rake-turn.html

Quick Reply: LED Tail light conversion, NEED HELP!!! F550 Dump