Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just added some K&N but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just added some K&N but...

I LOST! lost!!!! ahhh
1mpg!
How is this possible?
I got the FIPK K&N at that (57-2556), cooler temps since it is plastic.

Set the cruise on the interstate, same mph and everything.
Did a test without it Tuesday and got 18.5 MPG, did it yesterday since I added the K&N and it went down to 17.5 MPG.

Should I call K&N? I spent damn good money for this system to SAVE on gas more than anything else.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will tell you that the truck reading is not accurate
Old 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Imagine that! Who woulda thunk?

The truck computer isn't accurate. If you really want to get your money back, hopefully you have kept records (miles travelled and gallons used over an identical route with identical enironmental conditions) to prove it doesn't work.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well is there anything that I need to do to the ECU to make it read it accurately? And if so, how much will this cost.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 PM

Nope - it can't be done.

BTW, you do know you are at risk for burning pistons and valves by adding the intake, right?

Search for lean and CAI...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
U.S. Navy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun
Nope - it can't be done.

BTW, you do know you are at risk for burning pistons and valves by adding the intake, right?

Search for lean and CAI...
I've followed your posts for the last week or so and noticed you ACTUALLY tell the truth and not just repeat manufacturer claims. you also say what I want to before I get the chance.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Greer
I've followed your posts for the last week or so and noticed you ACTUALLY tell the truth and not just repeat manufacturer claims. you also say what I want to before I get the chance.
Slight hijack, but thanks!

I had an $300 A/M intake in my shopping basket several years ago, but just before I pushed PLACE ORDER, I decided to do a little more independent (meaning real-world dyno numbers, MPG results, etc.)research. I quickly learned that unless you have a tuner with a custom tune from a reputable company, you will get little or no gain and what gain you do see will primarily be above 4500 RPMs. I also learned about about drone and cam timing to eliminate drone (which reduces the A/M intake gains).

An who in the hell drives their trucks at 4500 RPMs?

As they say, 'the rest is history'.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun
Slight hijack, but thanks!

I had an $300 A/M intake in my shopping basket several years ago, but just before I pushed PLACE ORDER, I decided to do a little more independent (meaning real-world dyno numbers, MPG results, etc.)research. I quickly learned that unless you have a tuner with a custom tune from a reputable company, you will get little or no gain and what gain you do see will primarily be above 4500 RPMs. I also learned about about drone and cam timing to eliminate drone (which reduces the A/M intake gains).

An who in the hell drives their trucks at 4500 RPMs?

As they say, 'the rest is history'.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Great post, honestly i dont think i hit 4500 unless i am flooring it so a semi doesnt kill me on the high way.

Its my personal opinion that if your modding for gas mileage then your wrong. The companies, K&N, Magnaflow, Roush, ect. put claims of +1 mpg here and +2 there, well, when you add up all the mileage gains here and there you should be near prius territory right? The OEM engineers spend countless hours designing gear and tunes to work in sync and to obtain a high quality of reliability, mpg, power, drive ability, use, and im sure other things that i cant think of at the current moment. When you mod your truck for whatever reason...ie a bed cap, a super charger, a radio even, there are trade offs no matter whatever side of the circle you head to, your leaving another side. IE more power usually reduces reliability of certain wear components, such as clutches that the OEM didnt think would see 450 rwhp on a 195 rwhp motor.
The perfect motor and vehicle for the longest lasting, best mpg, and most power would be a stock one in my eyes.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 PM
U.S. Navy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbetty
The perfect motor and vehicle for the longest lasting, best mpg, and most power would be a stock one in my eyes.
My thoughts as well
Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The perfect motor and vehicle for the longest lasting, best mpg, and most power would be a stock one in my eyes.[/quote]

I have done many crazy things to many motors in the last 30+ years, now I really appriciate dependability and low matenance. With all thats going on with the economy, if a different shaped plastic tube feeding air into a motor would increase mpg's dont you think the company would make it stock ? Increasing mpg's for sales is huge right now.

Quick Reply: Just added some K&N but...