Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if my truck has a chip?? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to tell if my truck has a chip?? Help!!!

I understand the basic concept of a chip, but I just bought a used truck and i was wondering how could I find out if it has a chip in it? I did the math and i am getting 11.5 miles to the gallon, that doesn't set off any red flags to me that there are issues but i would still like to know the advantages and disadvantages of a chip. Please help me!
LINK TO MY GARAGE:https://www.f150forum.com/dto_garage...ehicle&v=25811
Old 08-26-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Doubt it, should be able to tell if you got one.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 AM

And they can increase hp,tq, and fuel economy. Some say they half life the engine, but eh, not really
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 AM

Received 151 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OutdoorManCopeland
I understand the basic concept of a chip, but I just bought a used truck and i was wondering how could I find out if it has a chip in it? I did the math and i am getting 11.5 miles to the gallon, that doesn't set off any red flags to me that there are issues but i would still like to know the advantages and disadvantages of a chip. Please help me! LINK TO MY GARAGE:https://www.f150forum.com/dto_garage...ehicle&v=25811
If you do have one, it is typically under the hood of the vehicle somewhere. There's an example of one in the picture below. Remove it ASAP if you find one. All they will end up doing is screwing up your truck.

If you want an actual programmer now or even later down the road, look into a Gryphon from PowerHungryPerformance or an SCT Livewire tuner. There are tons of threads comparing the two and what all they can do for you.

Originally Posted by Bryson
And they can increase hp,tq, and fuel economy. Some say they half life the engine, but eh, not really
And just for your future reference, one cannot increase performance AND fuel economy. You get one or the other when modifying a vehicle. Use more gas and get better performance numbers or use less gas and get better MPG numbers.

All the chips do is mess with the MAF and are really just a huge scam. A real programmer/tuner will run you $200+ for a used one.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
OutdoorManCopeland (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I looked and i didn't find anything, however i found a little glass tube with wires/hoses coming out of both ends and it says raptor in yellow print. I don't think it is chiped but i will have a mechanic look at it.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by sdatrlp23

If you do have one, it is typically under the hood of the vehicle somewhere. There's an example of one in the picture below. Remove it ASAP if you find one. All they will end up doing is screwing up your truck.

If you want an actual programmer now or even later down the road, look into a Gryphon from PowerHungryPerformance or an SCT Livewire tuner. There are tons of threads comparing the two and what all they can do for you.

And just for your future reference, one cannot increase performance AND fuel economy. You get one or the other when modifying a vehicle. Use more gas and get better performance numbers or use less gas and get better MPG numbers.

All the chips do is mess with the MAF and are really just a huge scam. A real programmer/tuner will run you $200+ for a used one.
Yes they can, just not necessarily at the same time. My 08 6.4 is h&s tuned, i can run it put it on economy and get 20 mpg's, or if i want, i can put it on performance and it'll go like a raped ape. Even on the economy tune tho i get like 25 horses or something like that extra tho.
Your are right i was just sayin lol

Quick Reply: How to tell if my truck has a chip?? Help!!!