Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Local Roofer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How hard is to lower your 97-03 F150?

How hard is it to lower your truck yourself? Ive never done it. I know the rear is gonna be easy. but Im worried about spring installation. I really dont wanna let some one else do it cuz Ill never learn. How many hours am I look at as well. Thanks alot Trey
Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #2

the front springs r easy u just need to rent a spring compresser from your local auto repair store like autozone or whatever remove 1 spring with the compresser then reinstall the compresser on the new spring n then put back
Satchmo1278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 AM   #3
Ask about my Zombie plan

Not hard at all. I lowered mine all by myself. It took me about an hour and a half for the front springs. I also replaced my front shocks at the same time. It wouldn't have taken that long had I not had to build the damn shocks!

There is NO need for a spring compressor. All you need to do is use another jack under the control arm and slowly release the pressure on the spring. The spring simply sits in sort of a cupped out area in the control arm. It's nothing like a strut, in which you do need a compressor.

The rear is straight forward. Shackles are a breeze. Now the hangers are a different story. Make sure you have an air chisel or a good drill bit to remove the factory rivets holding the factory hangers in place. The first truck I did it took like 2 hours to get the studs removed. The next one I did they came right out.

Good luck and make sure to replace your shocks as soon as you can, along with an alignment.

Friends pull the trigger, friends don't let friends become Zombies!

Last edited by Darth Bama; 05-29-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Darth Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Local Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bama View Post
Not hard at all. I lowered mine all by myself. It took me about an hour and a half for the front springs. I also replaced my front shocks at the same time. It wouldn't have taken that long had I not had to build the damn shocks!

There is NO need for a spring compressor. All you need to do is use another jack under the control arm and slowly release the pressure on the spring. The spring simply sits in sort of a cupped out area in the control arm. It's nothing like a strut, in which you do need a compressor.

The rear is straight forward. Shackles are a breeze. Now the hangers are a different story. Make sure you have an air chisel or a good drill bit to remove the factory rivets holding the factory hangers in place. The first truck I did it took like 2 hours to get the studs removed. The next one I did they came right out.

Good luck and make sure to replace your shocks as soon as you can, along with an alignment.
How low is your truck?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Ask about my Zombie plan

Mine has a DJM 2/4 drop installed. I actually cut a half a coil off the springs so I'm guessing it's close to 2.5 or 2.75 in the front.

What springs are you planning on buying? I can tell you now, not to use Toxic shocks. They are a pain in the *** to install. I recently installed some Belltech Nitro 2's and those were a breeze to install and they ride and handle a ton better.

Friends pull the trigger, friends don't let friends become Zombies!
Darth Bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM