Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is to lower your 97-03 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Local Roofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How hard is to lower your 97-03 F150?

How hard is it to lower your truck yourself? Ive never done it. I know the rear is gonna be easy. but Im worried about spring installation. I really dont wanna let some one else do it cuz Ill never learn. How many hours am I look at as well. Thanks alot Trey
Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 PM

the front springs r easy u just need to rent a spring compresser from your local auto repair store like autozone or whatever remove 1 spring with the compresser then reinstall the compresser on the new spring n then put back
Old 05-29-2009, 01:04 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not hard at all. I lowered mine all by myself. It took me about an hour and a half for the front springs. I also replaced my front shocks at the same time. It wouldn't have taken that long had I not had to build the damn shocks!

There is NO need for a spring compressor. All you need to do is use another jack under the control arm and slowly release the pressure on the spring. The spring simply sits in sort of a cupped out area in the control arm. It's nothing like a strut, in which you do need a compressor.

The rear is straight forward. Shackles are a breeze. Now the hangers are a different story. Make sure you have an air chisel or a good drill bit to remove the factory rivets holding the factory hangers in place. The first truck I did it took like 2 hours to get the studs removed. The next one I did they came right out.

Good luck and make sure to replace your shocks as soon as you can, along with an alignment.

Last edited by Darth Bama; 05-29-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Local Roofer

Originally Posted by Darth Bama
Not hard at all. I lowered mine all by myself. It took me about an hour and a half for the front springs. I also replaced my front shocks at the same time. It wouldn't have taken that long had I not had to build the damn shocks!

There is NO need for a spring compressor. All you need to do is use another jack under the control arm and slowly release the pressure on the spring. The spring simply sits in sort of a cupped out area in the control arm. It's nothing like a strut, in which you do need a compressor.

The rear is straight forward. Shackles are a breeze. Now the hangers are a different story. Make sure you have an air chisel or a good drill bit to remove the factory rivets holding the factory hangers in place. The first truck I did it took like 2 hours to get the studs removed. The next one I did they came right out.

Good luck and make sure to replace your shocks as soon as you can, along with an alignment.
How low is your truck?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Ask about my Zombie plan

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has a DJM 2/4 drop installed. I actually cut a half a coil off the springs so I'm guessing it's close to 2.5 or 2.75 in the front.

What springs are you planning on buying? I can tell you now, not to use Toxic shocks. They are a pain in the *** to install. I recently installed some Belltech Nitro 2's and those were a breeze to install and they ride and handle a ton better.

Quick Reply: How hard is to lower your 97-03 F150?