Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 01:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade

I have been researching ideas for installing a backup camera in my truck. I dont think I want to go the whole rear view mirror thing I have seen here on the forums.

I was thinking of just getting a slim 7" lcd and put it on the visor..

However I got to thinking. I use my Samsung Captivate in my car for bluetooth calling, audio AND turn by turn gps directions. This phone can do video out so how cool would it be to have a 7 inch version of it for my gps.

I was looking for places to mount the lcd in the truck that would work well. In the middle of our dashes on a 2009+ F-150, there is a 10" x 6.5" rubber pad area. Its indented a little.

How about installing a 7" lcd like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/CM7-XTRONS-7-car...item33618a4405. But instead of mounting it to the roof to flip down, you mount it to the dash to flip up.

Of course the on screen menu would need to allow you to flip the image as well.

What do you think?
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 PM

Okay here is some more follow up. I found this 7" lcd http://www.ecbuys.com/car-lcd-and-ca...itor-p-52.html.

It has 2 av inputs (I can use the backup camera and the Phone video out) and is only .75" inches thick.

Using this information, I built a cardboard size mockup of it using their dimensions. I placed it in the spot I think that It would be best to mount. I think the size works well. Also, right under that plastic "shelf" where we could mount this to is access to all the wiring. So, it would be EASY to run the wires and if it every came down to it, you could buy a new shelf to replace the one you mounted it to for NO permanent modification to the truck.

What you also could do is after installing, buy one of those dash covers and cut the area out where the lcd would stand. Then attach that peice to the back of the lcd. When the lcd folds down, no one would know it is there. Or so goes the theory.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-15-18.48.41.jpg   Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-15-18.51.33.jpg   Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-15-18.51.40.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Oh also I was thinking a Tablet laptop swivel hinge would be good mounting hardware. It can fold up and down and also swivel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Pavilion-TX10...item5adb5c6533
Old 10-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Okay today I had an even better idea- I think. What if we mount the lcd UNDER the plastic piece in the dash. Cut out a hole that will allow the lcd to flip up from. Then put the plastic piece you cut out for the hole on the back of the lcd so that when it is down, it is flush with the dash. This way it is hidden and out of view.

I decided to mock this up again using cardboard. Using my cardboard mockup of the lcd size, it *should* fit under the plastic piece just fine.

Attached our some pictures of how it could look.
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-17-15.35.30.jpg   Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-17-15.35.45.jpg   Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-17-15.44.36.jpg   Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade-2010-10-17-15.45.11.jpg  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Another update on this thread where I am talking to myself I ordered this combo: http://www.ecbuys.com/car-lcd-and-ca...mera-p-81.html.

They have a good reputation on eBay so we will see how it is when I get it. I have started looking at junk yards for totaled 2010 f-150s to get extra dash pieces just in case I make a mistake the first time. Once I get the hinge and the lcd, I will probably mock something up out of plywood to figure out the best way to mount the lcd, hinge, and dash together.

I am also investigating how I can add a motor adn a switch so I can have the lcd flip up and down like this one: http://www.podecoet.org/projects/dashLCD/
Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like a pretty cool plan. Can't wait to see the end result.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Well, my lcd hinge just arrived. I think I may have a slight issue. It is very tight. Meaning, Im afraid the lcd/casing might break trying to move it around. Im going to see what it will take to loosen it up a bit.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

So I loosened the bolts on each side of the hinge connectors and this made the up and down tilt option much easier. However, I cant figure out how to make the swivel at the base less tight. its very hard to do.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 AM

Okay tonight I took apart the whole hing mechanism. Inside the shaft were two tension washers and some sort of lock ring. I reassembled without the lock ring and now the hinge swivel smoothly with MUCH less force, but still looks into place. Im getting excited. I think this will work out well!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera source

If you haven't bought a camera already, here is a good source that is much cheaper than purchasing from the dealer. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Ford-Tailgate-Cam...item3a5fb4e523

I was quoted $600.00CDN from the dealership and bought the one from eBay for about $140.00.

I bought this camera and wired it into a Clarion in dash DVD player. Works great! There is a thread on this forum on how to install the camera onto your truck and splice the camera wiring.

Cheers,
John

Quick Reply: Has anyone thought of this for an aftermarket lcd upgrade