Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone taken out their muffler??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone taken out their muffler??

so i heard that a lot more people actually just cut off their muffler and the piping behind it than i thought. i looked up some videos on youtube but its hard to tell if it really does sound good with everyones home camera. i was wondering if any of you guys have done this and if you could give me your two cents about it. thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$13 Exhaust.................

My truck has it...

If you are trying to run fast 1/4's you will want a actual exhaust because u do lose a lil power due to lack of back pressure, i don't have real numbers but I would be very very surprised if it was any more than 5 hp....

I love the sound of mine... but it's not for everyone...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 PM

ya i heard that you might loose a tiny bit of power but gain a little bit of gas mileage? idk if its true. what size engine do you have and where did u stop the pipes? ive seen guys with only about 2 feet of piping after the cats and ive seen it with the pipes going all the way back. just trying to figure out if i wanna do it and if i do which is best.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:57 PM

I did it to mine I have a 2005 f150 xlt I got about 3 feet of pipe after the cats I love the sound
Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 5.4...

I got mine going all the way to the back..... for a couple reasons

1. The closer you get to the cab, the higher the risk of carbon minoxide entering the cab... I do a lot of sitting in my truck with it running and a window cracked- I don't want the exhaust too close...
2. I like the look of having a tail pipe.....
3. I didn't know if I was going to like the sound, when I cut out the muffler I did so in a way that I would be able to put it back in, or a different muffler- I was also living in a apartment at the time and didn't have storage for 4 ft of tailpipe... so I'm storing it on my truck
Old 03-08-2011, 12:23 AM

all very good reason im not to worried about the carbon minoxide tho. dont do very much sitting around with the engine on at least. i think im gona only leave a few feet after the cats. thanks for the advice you guys
Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
$13 Exhaust.................
u do lose a lil power due to lack of back pressure
Due to not having a long enough system to maintain scavenging Read:
https://www.f150forum.com/f11/exhaus...re-myth-78102/

IMO straights just sound like a bad exhaust when you get on it. Go with a straight through muffler to get a better sound (Borla, Magnaflow, Corsa, Dyno max bullet)

Quick Reply: Has anyone taken out their muffler??