Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard wiring a cell phone booster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard wiring a cell phone booster?

I have a Wilson 4G LTE mobile cell phone booster and their extended antenna, which is absolutely crucial gear in the remote oilfield locations that I often find myself in.

The only thing that I don't like is that it draws power from a cig lighter / powerpoint. I currently have it plugged into the one in my back seat on the rear of the console. I don't like how far it sticks out and it has a tendency to get caught on stuff that I am retrieving from the back seat area, and I would like to free up that plug in general.

Can anyone advise as to resources that I might check out as far as hard wiring this booster to my electrical system in the truck? I understand basic concepts of electrical but also don't want to mess anything up in my month-old truck. If I need to I can take it somewhere to get done when I am on days off next, but if I could accomplish this with minimal parts and a couple of hours while I am in the field, I could go that route too. I also have a CB that I use to talk to truck drivers on location that I would like to hard wire eventually as well and am hoping that it would be a similar process.

This is the booster: http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/sto...5/38/mobile-4g

According to specs, it draws 5v and 2.5 amps. My truck is a 2014 F-150 FX4.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 210 Likes on 167 Posts

Pop off that back console cover and just put some vampire taps on both the lines to the cig lighter and cb/booster and run the wires wherever you decide, or if it's small enough you can just keep it hidden under the console. That way when you turn your truck on, the devices are on, and also with off.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. Currently (no pun intended) the cig lighter power point that it is plugged into stays on ever when the truck is off, which I kind of prefer, since it keeps the booster working even when my truck is parked outside of my trailer, which I stay in on location when I am not working. I can leave my mobile hotspot in the truck and catch wi-fi from inside, as well as phone reception. I know that sounds crazy, but it works.

At any rate, I haven't taken the thing apart, but from my experience with cig lighter adapters, they generally run a fuse inside. Wouldn't tapping into the cig lighter wires as described require an inline fuse to be safe? I was thinking there would be a spot in the main fuse box to run this to.

Has anyone had any experience running an accessory to the main fuse box? I want to do this as thoroughly and cleanly as possible.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default K.i.s.s.

I haven't done exactly what you ask about. Truthfully, I wouldn't. I'm too lazy. I'd mod the suggestion above to meet your Specs. I'd tap the Cig Lighter +12 VDC already there - it's proven to work - and fuse it with the item linked below. Put this Fuse Holder inside an old Pill Bottle, etc., if you're worried about it shorting for some reason. I think you're going about it a smart way by wanting to fuse. 'Guano Occurs'.

I'm a 'Solder and Heat Shrink' kinda Guy, come time to make connections in a Mobile environment. But, the Taps mentioned above are another way to go; especially in the protected Truck Cabin environment.

I looked at the Wilson Link; thanks for that. Give their Tech Support a call, if you like. I'm betting there's a very small Fuse inside the Wilson Chassis unless they really wanted to cut Manufacturing costs to the bare Bone. From the $$ Self Interest POV, an internal Fuse could save Wilson money in replacing Circuit Boards under Warranty in the case of a Component failure.

In Line Fuse & Holder

-----

Quick Reply: Hard wiring a cell phone booster?