Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Wire Dash Cam Install Instructions w/ Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts
Default Hard Wire Dash Cam Install Instructions w/ Pictures

This past year I've become a major dash cam advocate (despite the fact that it could result in me finding videos of myself on YouTube.) Long story short, a bad driver hit me, tried to put the blame on me and 5 months later it's still going through arbitration.

I'll try to keep the reading to a minimum and photos / links to the maximum.

Truck: 2011 5.0 V8 STX

Fuse Size The Truck Uses: Mini Low Profile **But don't buy a mini low profile add a fuse, it will not fit. Buy a mini add a fuse with longer prongs such as this one, it comes with two 5 amp fuses:
Amazon.com : HitCar Car Vehicle Circuit Blade Style ATM APS ATT Low Profile Mini Fuse Holder Fuse Tap With 5AMP Fuse (Small Size) : Electronics Amazon.com : HitCar Car Vehicle Circuit Blade Style ATM APS ATT Low Profile Mini Fuse Holder Fuse Tap With 5AMP Fuse (Small Size) : Electronics

Dash Cam: Mobius Standard Lens

They also make a Mobius wide view lens, the C2, but it makes everything appear further away, but does allow more light in for a bit better night video quality.

Mobius side view, the camera is the lower rectangular part that is already attached the a Muvi Veho slide mount.

Mobius front view w/ Muvi Veho windshield mount base plate; it's the only part that sticks to the windshield. Takes 2 seconds to remove the camera.

This camera runs on 5V, many do, though some run on 12V. If it runs on 5V you need a 12V to 5V converter. To make life easy, I just purchased a hard wire kit that included the converter along with an in-line fuse.

Mobius hard wire kit. Please note the hard wire kit still has the add a fuse from the previous car it was installed in; low profile mini fuse which is the size the truck uses, but the legs are too short.

I located the cabin fuse box on the passenger side, closest to the door and removed the 1st cover, and also the cover on the actual fuse box.

Here is the fuse box without a cover and my add a fuse already installed into spot 35.

I used an online manual, though I think it's for the Raptor?
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../11f12og3e.pdf

Printed pages 331, 332 and 333 and went out to the truck with my test light to figure out which fuse I wanted to use; I wanted a fuse that wasn't on when the truck is off, but turned on with the ignition.

$5 Test light.

On the underside of the fuse box cover is where you will find your plastic fuse puller tool.

Backside of fuse cover w/ white fuse puller tool.

From there it was just a matter of finding a good ground point. I pulled the smaller side panel off and put the ground under an already existing bolt.

Door side dash panel removed w/ ground wire. I'm not super thrilled with it being grounded there, I may go get a self tapping screw, but it works for now.

I ran the wire along the passenger side A-pillar and up into the headliner.

Passenger side A-pillar removed.

A trick I learned doing this install 3 times is using zip ties to help keep the wire tucked under the headliner. I put one around the wire loosely and then cram it up under the headliner; I do this in 3 different spots, but you can use as many as you need, especially as you get closer to the center of your windshield where it gets a bit lose.

The mount has grey 3m VHB tape on the backside so I'm going to install some vinyl on the windshield first so it's not as noticeable on the outside, but this is what the finish product will roughly look like. I need to adjust the angle, it's still set for my sedan.

Where I will install it once I get the vinyl and windshield mount in place.

Let me know if you find this useful or have questions. Heck, let me know if you don't find it useful so I don't waste my time writing up more of these for other installs.

Last edited by FerdinandF150; 03-01-2016 at 08:20 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by FerdinandF150:
Barristersteve (06-28-2017), berguy (02-28-2017), drboyddrboyd (03-22-2020), fastcar23 (03-17-2016), JTaylor (04-16-2016), Livnitup (03-03-2016), LTC F (06-11-2021), rntonp (04-06-2016), sigma pi (03-25-2016), sunofabeach (03-02-2016) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Here a couple of videos from the camera while in use in my other cars.

Night:

Day:

Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 PM

Here is the final destination of the install:

I initially tried behind the mirror on the drivers side to make it easier to push the save button, but my new rear view mirror that has an LCD monitor inside is too bulky. I ended up putting down a square piece of vinyl first and so far the vinyl has stayed and the VHB tape is sticking to it as needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by FerdinandF150:
crayjunk (03-26-2016), MrLunchbox (01-31-2018)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

what is the 'vinyl' you used?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by rntonp
what is the 'vinyl' you used?
A friend of my owns a sign / t-shirt printing business. It's the same vinyl they use to put logs or phone numbers on the outside of vehicles, or on various signs around town.

If you find a local shop they should sell you a scrap piece for $1 or maybe even just give it to you free.

I'll post a photo of the outside windshield so you can see what I used it for.
The following users liked this post:
rntonp (04-11-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 06:57 PM

Here is a photo using the black vinyl:

Some perks of using it are it makes removing the VHB sticky mount easy if you lease your vehicle or sell it. It goes on smooth without any air pockets, where as when you use VHB directly on the windshield it can create visible air pockets. The biggest for me is the VHB tape on my mount is grey and when my better half gets back with the car I'll take a photo of how visible it is without the vinyl.
The following users liked this post:
rntonp (04-11-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really nice. Could you run a rear camera at the same time on the same fuse?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by thenewbreed
Really nice. Could you run a rear camera at the same time on the same fuse?
I'm by no means an electrical engineer, so keep that in mind.

I'd consider running 2 Mobius dash cams on the same add a fuse, simply because I know that a 5 or 7.5 amp fuse should run 2 Mobius cams, each runs off 5v vs. other cams that run off 12v, and the hard wire kit I use has it's own in-line fuse for even more added protection. Additionally I always make sure to install the add a fuse the correct way; so accessories won't run with a blown fuse.

That said...if there was an able fuse slot to add another add a fuse I would. Or because I added a small fuse box behind the glove box, I'd probably wire it to that and then run it off a switch so it wasn't on 24/7.

rntonp (04-11-2016), thenewbreed (04-06-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

sorry to open this thread again, but could you tell me exactly which camera you used? I've been researching and there are a lot of models..could you provide a link also? Thanks much!
Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 AM

Mobius Action Camera Standard Lens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP1WYD2..._EJ9xxbTFV6KS2

Hopefully thay works. I wouldn't buy from CrazeFPV, but that's because I had a not so good experience from them and had to send it back. You can also order everything from SpyTec.com
jjg3 (03-12-2017), MrLunchbox (01-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Hard Wire Dash Cam Install Instructions w/ Pictures