Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Performance Exhaust or Muffler only?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Full Performance Exhaust or Muffler only?

Guys/Gals, I've read through the forums and am still stuck. I have a shiny, new F150 SuperCrew 3.6L EB and want to make it sound throaty without the cabin drone. I also would rather not buy a full on Cat Back. I also toyed around with a CAI, but shyed away from that after reading some of your notes here (thanks!) and other Google stuff. So I'm back to the beginning. Stock exhaust leaves me wanting more "growl" and I'm trying to find a happy medium. Full on exhaust, muffler only, resonator (or tip), or leave it alone? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastback
Guys/Gals, I've read through the forums and am still stuck. I have a shiny, new F150 SuperCrew 3.6L EB and want to make it sound throaty without the cabin drone. I also would rather not buy a full on Cat Back. I also toyed around with a CAI, but shyed away from that after reading some of your notes here (thanks!) and other Google stuff. So I'm back to the beginning. Stock exhaust leaves me wanting more "growl" and I'm trying to find a happy medium. Full on exhaust, muffler only, resonator (or tip), or leave it alone? Thanks in advance!
Tough call, exhausts are subjective some people like them load others not so much. I'd suggest going to YouTube and searching for sound clips with EB and the various manufactures.

Here's one that I know of I'm not currently shopping for an exhaust or know any good ones for EB but this video has their various system options for the Raptor, Ecoboost and 5.0L

The following users liked this post:
Fastback (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM

Azuri, thanks man. That is one of the better comparisons I've seen yet and definately makes me want the S-Type. Does it make sense to add only a muffler to my 3" stock exhaust, or would this performance sound only come from the entire Cat Back? I'll spit the coin, if it sounds this good (subjective I know). Lastly, what are your thoughts on coupling a K&N or Afe CAI with this? I'm more interested in mileage and sound than torque and Hp. Sorry for so many questions, so if I need to head off just let me know. - Pat
Old 05-24-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Azuri, thanks man. That is one of the better comparisons I've seen yet and definately makes me want the S-Type. Does it make sense to add only a muffler to my 3" stock exhaust, or would this performance sound only come from the entire Cat Back? I'll spit the coin, if it sounds this good (subjective I know). Lastly, what are your thoughts on coupling a K&N or Afe CAI with this? I'm more interested in mileage and sound than torque and Hp. Sorry for so many questions, so if I need to head off just let me know. - Pat

I can't answer your question directly on muffler only. My stock muffler in my 2013 was like 2 1/2 feet long lol so I'm sure the muffler alone would make a tremendous sound difference.

As far as the CIA goes don't expect a ton of performance or MPG gain from that. They certainly look cool and sound nice under the hood but It's something I'm personally not directing any mod money too at this time. I'd maybe deflect that cash into a catback exhaust system personally.

I've been posting this video about CIA's a lot lately so take it with a grain of salt but still worth the watch and food for thought.

Fastback (05-30-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're not too concerned about HP and torque gains and you're going for the sound I'd highly suggest a throttle body spacer, muffler and a CAI. Although you probably wont notice that big of a gain ( MPG ) from the CAI, it does sound cool ! paired with a throttle body spacer and the right muffler and you're sounding pretty deadly.

In my opinion, you might as well just get a full cat back system. If you can't really afford it, then just go with the muffler, spacer and CAI and you'll notice a much better sound.

For the price of a CAI ( 250-350 ), spacer ( 70-100 ) and Muffler ( 50-150 ) you could probably get a full cat back system though

Last edited by TylerF; 05-24-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Your EB is a v6 nothing you can do will make it sound like a v8.
As for performance the stock muffler is a straight through design, it has no baffles or packing and offers no restriction so just replaceing it with after market would gain noise and drone and actualy reduce power and mpg.
The main restriction in the EB exhaust is the turbo's themselves and the resinater ahead of the muffler
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Check out the SW vids in my signature, there's a few of them in the link. Hit me up with any questions, glad to help.
Fastback (05-30-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Your EB is a v6 nothing you can do will make it sound like a v8.
As for performance the stock muffler is a straight through design, it has no baffles or packing and offers no restriction so just replaceing it with after market would gain noise and drone and actualy reduce power and mpg.
The main restriction in the EB exhaust is the turbo's themselves and the resinater ahead of the muffler
I'm sorry, but this carries no water when you look at the members on this and other forums with posted dyno numbers showing gains and significant ones with exhaust mods. Consider Franchi above. Look at his build album and you'll see gains from exhaust, CAI, and I believe downpipe. I will say that unless you plan on making greater than 400hp, a 3" exhaust is plenty. Just to add to the mix, Solo performance and full race both make great sounding EB exhausts with plenty of dyno runs to support claims. My biggest pet peeve with aftermarket parts right now is the aFe claims of a ridiculous 30 some horsepower with their stage 2 intake.
Fastback (05-30-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 10:50 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksbowtech
I'm sorry, but this carries no water when you look at the members on this and other forums with posted dyno numbers showing gains and significant ones with exhaust mods. Consider Franchi above. Look at his build album and you'll see gains from exhaust, CAI, and I believe downpipe. I will say that unless you plan on making greater than 400hp, a 3" exhaust is plenty. Just to add to the mix, Solo performance and full race both make great sounding EB exhausts with plenty of dyno runs to support claims. My biggest pet peeve with aftermarket parts right now is the aFe claims of a ridiculous 30 some horsepower with their stage 2 intake.
Im not talking full on exhaust system the OP was talking about replacing just the muffler and I stand by my statement there is not an after mkt muffler made with the same pipe size that will flow any better than the stocker most flow worse So if you just change the muffler all you will gain is that wonderfull v6 noise [sic]
Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM

This was very interesting to watch and of course...gives me yet more pause. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Azuri
...I've been posting this video about CIA's a lot lately so take it with a grain of salt but still worth the watch and food for thought.

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted - YouTube

Quick Reply: Full Performance Exhaust or Muffler only?