Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Octane with tuners

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Octane with tuners

I did a little research on here but maybe not enough so if there is already a thread I apologize. I was wondering how much difference it really makes using premium fuel compared to regular when it comes to hp and torque gained with a tuner because I see them advertise such and such hp gain using premium fuel. I don't really want to switch to premium so I'm not sure if a tuner would even be worth it.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Very interesting questiion

In today's engines, the computer is far more 'aware' of the engine status at any given time. It recognizes ambient air density, temp, fuel, etc. and how to react to get the most power from all of it. It recognizes ignition (spark voltage) and how to adjust spark timing. It knows when to adjust cam timing. In the past these things were done manually,

And it recognizes how to get the most out of high performance fuels. Octane is a measure of the performance of a fuel. High octane fuels can withstand higher compression before ignitiing. If a fuel is igniting too earlly or too late, the engine performance suffers, and the engive can actually be damaged.

Tuners can be used to modify how engines run and to keep them from being damaged they require fuels that support those changes. So today the engine can 'sense' what fuel it is getting and respond accordingly. If you install a performance 'tune' it may require performance fuel. YES more than ever

I hope that answers your question
Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to having a Ford but a tuner is high on my list of first things to get. I did have a full custom tune on my Tahoe and premium fuel made a huge difference in performance. 87 octane would make the engine knock and be very sluggish. I actually would get close to 1 more MPG using 93 octane when I could stay off the gas.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

There could be a big difference in power between 87 and 93. 93 allows for more timing which is where your power increase comes from. Other adjustments increase power also but the largest gains come from advancing timing. This doesn't mean that a tune for 87 won't gain much, I have been extremely with my 87 Performance Tune.

You can run 87 tune on 93, but not a 93 tune with 87!

Wayne
Old 01-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all! That really helps!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

That is a good question. I have an '11 Lariat with the 6.2. I have Stainless Works long tube headers and full exhaust system. That was nice. Then I bought a SCT Livewire. Now I only take the Livewire out when the truck has to go in for oil changes or service. I bought it from 5-Star tuning, and I ordered it with a 87 Perf. tune, 91 Perf. tune, and a 91 Tow tune. The reason for not getting a 93 Perf. or tow tune initially is because of where I travel. Here at home I can get 93 octane pretty much everywhere. But, when I travel out to my place in West Virginia, It seems most gas stations out there only have 91 octane. During hunting season I tow a Polaris Ranger out there. I know I'll eventually need to get gas out there. So hence, the 91 Tow tune. Since then, I've ordered several more tunes from 5-Star and also from MPT. Including a 91 economy and 93 perf. tunes. I have noticed differences between even the 91 and 93 tunes, and the 87 tune for sure. I've tried the 87 tune once, and I could see a nice increase in performance over stock. I also like the SCT canned tune for general everyday driving, running errands etc.. A tuner is surely worth it even when stock.

Last edited by Scarlet; 01-25-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd personally like to see some dyno test or something, to even begin to warrant the almost a dollar increase in fuel costs for some performance. Costs hundreds just to get a tuner and then hundreds more you'll pay if you increase in octane.

Sorry but everything you guys says is anecdotal right now and you're very likely to think you're seeing some difference because you just dished out all the cash to see something..
Old 01-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by saltynut1
I'd personally like to see some dyno test or something, to even begin to warrant the almost a dollar increase in fuel costs for some performance. Costs hundreds just to get a tuner and then hundreds more you'll pay if you increase in octane.

Sorry but everything you guys says is anecdotal right now and you're very likely to think you're seeing some difference because you just dished out all the cash to see something..

I've had my truck for 9 years without a Tuner
I can tell you without a doubt the stock Tune was better then Ford OEM tune
I then went to 89 octane & much better then 1st Tune
Here 89 octane is .23c more per gallon, 93 octane is .34c more
One station even has Reg & Mid-grade at the same price, 93 octane 10c more
Not sure where you are that you see $1 gallon difference
Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave
I've had my truck for 9 years without a Tuner
I can tell you without a doubt the stock Tune was better then Ford OEM tune
I then went to 89 octane & much better then 1st Tune
Here 89 octane is .23c more per gallon, 93 octane is .34c more
One station even has Reg & Mid-grade at the same price, 93 octane 10c more
Not sure where you are that you see $1 gallon difference
I know the tune compared to stock will make a difference, I was talking about the actual difference from the stock octane with a tune to a higher tune like 93.

Right now 93 is 55 cents more, while prices are this low, however when prices were higher 93 was around 80 cents more a gallon compared to 87. I guess going to 91 wouldn't be too bad, but you're still talking a lot a tank for some difference. My tank costs over 60 dollars to fill up now with 87, and was about 110 before when it was in the 3 dollar range a gallon. Another ~20 dollars a tank for premium when prices are higher. You go through a lot of tanks, I'm just wondering if there's some actual evidence to make it worth 20 bucks every couple weeks.

I'm in Michigan by the way
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

Well, here locally in Delaware, In June 93 oct. was 4.15/gal.. August it was 3.88/gal.. I just filled up with 93 oct. again at 2.59/gal.. I go to the same station all the time. Just 1 mile away. The price difference right now between 93 oct. to 91 oct. I know is about .20cent, and I think from 89 oct. to 93oct. is maybe .35cent.. I think the price difference was a bit more back during the summer, but I can't say for sure. My fill ups are usually about 28-30 gallons. But I just filled up for the coming snowstorm. I took about 20 gallons. So, in this instance, the difference from 89 to 93 oct. would of been about 7.00 bucks. Even if I filled at my usual 30 gallons or so, it would of been maybe 10.00-11.00? Not bank breaking. But yea, it could add up.
But on a side note, in the sales brochure for the '11-'14 F150 with the 6.2 it states (6.2L Hp and Torque achieved with Premium Fuel). So, I would say even with stock tunes from the factory, octane does make a difference.

Last edited by Scarlet; 01-26-2015 at 09:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Octane with tuners