Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end work done today

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front end work done today

I think I got a pretty good deal on a 2005 F150 XLT Screw. 5.4. She Black and Gold (Matches my Harley Fatboy

Since my lovely pinay wife will be driving it some, I want everything right. I bought the RC 2.5 leveling kit and 2 bilsteins on Amazon.. Took it to my local tire dealer that does all the work on my business trucks.

They checked it out and said I needed one Ball Joint for sure but the others would need replacing pretty soon. Said TR were fair. Since it was squeeking pretty bad I had them change all of them and the TR ends and sway bar bushings.

It was driving fine so I hope it really drives good now!! I pick it up tomorrow so we will see.

Only other thing I want to do is get either 18" or 20" wheels. I'll be driving on the hwy 90% of the time and towing my bikes about 10% of the time.

My goal is to look good and have a good ride. Which should I go with !8 or 20.

Opinions Please!!

Thanks.

cigardave
Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 261 Likes on 163 Posts

For a smoother ride, get more sidewall on the tire and a less aggressive tread. 18" wheels, beefier street tires will give you a better ride than 20" with less sidewalk or even 18" with ATs on it.

At least, that's my experience having gone both routes on the same truck more than once.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

You could also argue that 20"s will give you better handling on the street. You could also argue that its such a small difference, you wouldn't notice either way.

I think 20"s look better, but that's my opinion. I would go with whichever look you like better and let that be your deciding factor, cause the difference isn't as extreme as many would have you think. Big difference in feel would come from the type of tire you select
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

20" for looks 18" for ride and performance. Have you ever seen a race car with tiny sidewall tires?
My truck uas 17" (see sig) it rides and drives fine.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
Have you ever seen a race car with tiny sidewall tires?
I would say only about every street/track car lol less sidewall flex means more precise steering/handling.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:05 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

So NASCAR, F1, LeMons could benefit from shorter sidewalls? I don't think so.
It is all about looks.
In addition, larger diameter wheels are heavier and that makes them ride worse, accelerate slower and brake worse.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

F1 has such a radically different type of tire, NASCAR dont need nimbleness, and *Le Mans cars do have a much larger wheel shorter sidewalls. It's not something to argue, it is a proven scientific fact that less sidewall = better handling. Harsher ride but much more control on the street.